Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy used CNC'd heads or factory and send them off??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Buy used CNC'd heads or factory and send them off??

Its finally time to invest in some heads but I can't seem to find a good used set. So, I was looking at buying a set that has not been touched and sending to a reputable sponsor to be worked. I got on eBay and seen they have tons of 243 and 5.3 (806???) heads for dirt cheap. All it says is that they have been remanufactured and gives no more information on the matter.

Would it be worth picking up a set of these heads and sending them somewhere to be worked over? Will the price be comparable to finding a good deal on here or what??

Thanks guys..
Old 01-01-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A set of used stock L92 heads with a $200 intake will out flow most "worked" LS1,2, or 6 heads at 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Just sayin.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fastbasser
A set of used stock L92 heads with a $200 intake will out flow most "worked" LS1,2, or 6 heads at 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Just sayin.
Assuming the OP has 4" bore or greater. Otherwise it doesn't matter what they flow because they can't be used.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 AM
10 Second Club

Heads are one of the most important part of the build and the choice you make now may effect the way the car will run later. Save your money and buy a good set of after market heads for your build. I have a set of Trick Flow 215cnc heads that I paid good money for but if I had it all to do again I would go with a set of All Pro's from West Coast Cyclinder heads.. They cost a little more money but they run like some body stole them.. Just my 0.2
Old 01-02-2012, 03:56 AM
10 Second Club

Just sayin.
What did your Vette run in the 1/4 with your setup.
I also have a LS2 402ci motor but with a set of worked up TrickFlow215cnc heads.. What was your E.T. and mph please. My Camaro is full weight (3540race weight) and right off the trailer with the brand new motor I went 10.39@129mph This is a pump gas motor to so it's not like I am pulling any tricks.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by odarabla
What did your Vette run in the 1/4 with your setup.
I also have a LS2 402ci motor but with a set of worked up TrickFlow215cnc heads.. What was your E.T. and mph please. My Camaro is full weight (3540race weight) and right off the trailer with the brand new motor I went 10.39@129mph This is a pump gas motor to so it's not like I am pulling any tricks.
Before I start lets compare apples to apples. Mine is a daily driver. No trailer and no ET Streets, no trick intake, nothing hi tech. A very mild cam by today's standards. (my engine was built several years ago... 2004..) With that being said, I drove the 180 miles to the track and ran 10.89@ 127. Then put air back in the tires and drove home. It's in the shop now for the first tune since I had the motor built. (and a new tranny and converter ) I was told tuning has changed greatly since I was there last.

I gotta also add mine is built right. HTC 4" forged crank, Carrillo rods and forged Diamond pistons..

I am real curious what it dynos all these years later with a "new school" tune!

What size cam do you have in yours? That's great running!

SippiSpeedhawk..... I stand corrected.. I forgot about that.......

Last edited by fastbasser; 01-02-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

Before I start lets compare apples to apples. Mine is a daily driver. No trailer and no ET Streets, no trick intake, nothing hi tech. A very mild cam by today's standards. (my engine was built several years ago... 2004..) With that being said, I drove the 180 miles to the track and ran 10.89@ 127. Then put air back in the tires and drove home. It's in the shop now for the first tune since I had the motor built. (and a new tranny and converter ) I was told tuning has changed greatly since I was there last.

I am real curious what it dynos all these years later with a "new school" tune!

What size cam do you have in yours? That's great running!

SippiSpeedhawk..... I stand corrected.. I forgot about that.......
I said I wasn't pulling any tricks. I did trailer it there but that was in case I broke something. If I were to drive it there the out come would have been the same after a cool down for about an hour, no E.T. streets. I use the Hoosier Drag radials. I am using a fast 90mm intake and NW 90mm tb. EPS Custom cam. I can drive my car anywhere I want to with A/C and everything. No N20 just all motor. and like I mentioned above it weighs a lot more than your vette does. My cam was speced to the heads and intake I decided to use which is 246/255-607/632@113+2. You said you have L92 heads but you built your motor in 2004? Those heads wasn't out in 2004. So you must have made a few changes a little more recent huh?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Ther is no doubt you can make your car run using stock ported heads but you can get the car to run better and have more room to grow with after market heads. If this wasnt the case then there wouldn't be no need for and after market head.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

odarabla... I am sure you are correct about the heads. The dyno sheet I looked at must have been an earlier set up. I do remember the heads came from Texas speed and were in the ballpark of $1300 at the time. I gotta dig through my old paperwork and see if I can find an invoice of the build. It was a while ago..

I do know I have a factory intake. (L76??) Stock throttle body as well. If I recall, the cam was in the neighborhood of 240/602 @114 I think. I had used the cam in my other motor and it was a good all around cam..

I would have considered a Fast intake if they were available at the time. Like most of this crap, they were/are way over priced imho. They weren't if I recall. It's been a while since I thought about any of the components.

What converter are you using? I gotta replace mine..
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by odarabla
Heads are one of the most important part of the build and the choice you make now may effect the way the car will run later. Save your money and buy a good set of after market heads for your build. I have a set of Trick Flow 215cnc heads that I paid good money for but if I had it all to do again I would go with a set of All Pro's from West Coast Cyclinder heads.. They cost a little more money but they run like some body stole them.. Just my 0.2
I understand that going with a set of TrickFlow's or AFR's is going to definatly be better than a set of "worked" 5.3's or 243's. But, getting married less than 4 months ago, new house payment, and a wife that is dying to have kids soon isn't budget friendly for a set of 2k$ heads.

I guess I should ask is it possible to get 30-40rwhp by buying a set of used heads and sending them to be worked (I also have a ls6 intake to go on the car whenever the heads are installed)?? And what do you guys recommend since they are virtually the same price, 5.3's or 243's??
Old 01-02-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

The sad truth is the faster you go, the deeper your pockets have to be. You have to set realistic goals based on finances. I had Patriot heads a while ago and they were a great bang for the buck. I am sure a lot of guys start there and then upgrade as money becomes available. A set of their Stage 3 heads and a 224 cam will get you mid 11s..

jmho
Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand what your saying about going fast is expensive. But, I feel like you could possibly be biased on the situation considering you have what looks like a well built 402.. And don't get me wrong, I don't say that being a smart *** in anyway. I greatly appreciate all your posts helping me understand how to better my car. The only thing is, I can't justify paying top dollar for A+ heads at the moment, maybe in a few years.

I just feel that there is lots of car's on here that run good and were built on a decent budget. My car is a cam only car and has went 11.6's with the stock intake.

My transmission is down and I'm going with a different stall so my car will have to be tuned again. Thats the reason for wanting to go with new heads/intake. I'm just wanting to know if its possible to pick up 30-40rwhp with TEA5.3's, TEA ls6's, PRC 5.3's, etc... Thats all I can afford at the moment so thats what I'm going to go with..
Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I understand what your saying about going fast is expensive. But, I feel like you could possibly be biased on the situation considering you have what looks like a well built 402.. And don't get me wrong, I don't say that being a smart *** in anyway. I greatly appreciate all your posts helping me understand how to better my car. The only thing is, I can't justify paying top dollar for A+ heads at the moment, maybe in a few years.

I just feel that there is lots of car's on here that run good and were built on a decent budget. My car is a cam only car and has went 11.6's with the stock intake.

My transmission is down and I'm going with a different stall so my car will have to be tuned again. Thats the reason for wanting to go with new heads/intake. I'm just wanting to know if its possible to pick up 30-40rwhp with TEA5.3's, TEA ls6's, PRC 5.3's, etc... Thats all I can afford at the moment so thats what I'm going to go with..

You can probably pick up 30-40 or more rwhp by having your existing heads reworked by AI for less than $1K plus springs. Their 219 package is hard to beat for the money considering you already own the heads.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the setup I was looking at. I priced it out, its within $200 of a LS6 2.5 head and cam package to go with AI. This way you get a setup designed for your driving habits, track or street. I have emailed them, told them what I want, they said the AI 219 porting with one of their cams will make mid 4xx, springs 30,000 to 40,000 miles and be daily driveable. Im still on the fence but that is what I am leaning towards.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only thing is I'm not capable of taking the heads off myself and I don't really know if my builder/tuner would want it sitting in his garage for that amount of time.. Good advice though.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Launching!

On a budget A.I 243's will be my choice!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are paying labor to swap heads, then paying for a re-tune afterwards, and would do so again to upgrade to an aftermarket head later, you might consider your total outlay. Paying labor to do things twice, plus the resulting loss you take on the parts you will eventually resell might make up the difference and then some...

If you really want an aftermarket head, I would advise you to be patient and do things when you can afford to do it right.

Your other option is to read one of the many available how-to's online and see if the work is something you can perhaps tackle. Save as much as you can on labor and you could invest in some better parts soon.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with hammertime on doing it your self. The how to's online are great. I have never had a motor apart, now I have one sitting on an engine stand in pieces. It just a bunch of bolts that you have to take off. You would be surprised how easy it is if you have the right tools. The money you save doing it your self you can upgrade just about everything. I am doing heads, cam, ls6 valley cover, larger injectors, new clutch, rebuilding the bottom end for the price of a sponsor would charge just to take the engine out, redo the bottom end and put it back together.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

After reading super chevy's latest modern mouse article it doesn't appear that they really picked up any power with trickflows over TEA ported stockers. I'm pretty disappointed in the direction that mag series has gone.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

odarabla... I am sure you are correct about the heads. The dyno sheet I looked at must have been an earlier set up. I do remember the heads came from Texas speed and were in the ballpark of $1300 at the time. I gotta dig through my old paperwork and see if I can find an invoice of the build. It was a while ago..

I do know I have a factory intake. (L76??) Stock throttle body as well. If I recall, the cam was in the neighborhood of 240/602 @114 I think. I had used the cam in my other motor and it was a good all around cam..

I would have considered a Fast intake if they were available at the time. Like most of this crap, they were/are way over priced imho. They weren't if I recall. It's been a while since I thought about any of the components.

What converter are you using? I gotta replace mine..
I am running a PTC transmission and 8" stall converter. I would give Kenny at PTC a call. http://www.ptcrace.com/ I have used these converters since I started on my last motor and everone I know that runs them loves them. And there not to pricey.. Check them out. Like I said give Kenny a call and let him know what you have and he will build you a converter for your build..