PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small physical dimension PCM options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Small physical dimension PCM options?

Hi guys, I'm putting a LS1 in a 73 Datsun 240z and I would like to fit the PCM under the dash due to space constraints in the engine bay. The f-body PCMs are to large for this.

Do I have any options for a physically smaller PCM? Such as something out of say a C6 vette? (Searching leads me to believe ?all? the 05+ PCMs are the smaller 05+ vette style? Building a custom harness is no problem. I know the connectors and consequently the pinouts will be different than my LS1 stuff. My question is more centered around whether I can use a later model (05+?) PCM with my reluctor, MAF, cable driven TB, 4l60E, etc.

If there are any options for me, which PCM(s) would be best (smallest physical size, best OS, etc.)?

I searched a fair amount without any luck, from what I gather this isn't a common question? Thanks for your time if you read this. Any leads, or suggestions on what to search the forums for would be greatly appreciated!

-Tyler

Last edited by tylert14; 01-02-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 AM
12 Second Club

Ahhh I should be sleeping, not scouring the web right now... But I turned a few stones over and it looks like I am SOL... Looks to me all the "small" PCMs I want to use are only compatible with 58x wheels and won't work with my 24x wheel.

I had seen mention of lingenfelter working on a 24x to 58x conversion module but that smells fishy. Im going to call them later today.

So from further searching it looks like my main problems are the PCM being compatible with a 24x wheel, and being able to control a ICV because of the DBW being absent. Yeah looks like I'm SOL.

Last edited by tylert14; 01-02-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The E40s will work with the 24 tooth wheel. You'll need to run an electronic throttle control throttle body and pedal. All components need to match. Look for something out of a 05 Vette, or 05-06 GTO, or check out speartech.com.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Run the computer into the front fender instead??
Old 01-02-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Never been inside a datsun but could you not run it into the passenger side kick panel?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
The E40s will work with the 24 tooth wheel. You'll need to run an electronic throttle control throttle body and pedal. All components need to match. Look for something out of a 05 Vette, or 05-06 GTO, or check out speartech.com.
Ok thanks for the info! Looks like this is my only shot without back tracking and swapping to a 58x wheel. (Trying to move forward with this project not backwards!)

I'm having a little trouble researching throttle body options. I really want to keep a 75mm bore.

Do any 3 bolt 75mm bore DBW throttle bodies exist? [EDIT: I wouldn't mind using a 4 bolt TB with an adapter plate. I just want to stick to a 75mm bore as this is for a 5.3L bottom end low RPM cruiser]

Is cruise control handled by the E40 PCM?

It handles the 4l60E without a seperate TCM correct?
----------------
Originally Posted by wait4me
Run the computer into the front fender instead??
HID projectors will be taking up that real estate.
----------------
Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Never been inside a datsun but could you not run it into the passenger side kick panel?
Not much room there! I could have mounted a Gen III size PCM behind the glove box, but that area will now be taken up by air conditioning components (non OEM).
----------------

I'm looking for a clean looking engine bay and need to fit all the various reservoirs and battery under the hood. Need to retain a wiper fluid reservoir with acceptable capacity, etc. This car is for an older gentlemen and it's going to see a lot of cruising miles in the California sun, and cross country. The owner has a lot of money invested in this car and I want to lay things out as neatly and functionally as possible. Adding A/C to the car really threw a monkey wrench in the mix...

I appreciate the comments, suggestions, and help so far guys, keep them coming.

Oh and shameless plug, it looks like I may have a nice refurbished DBC LS1 throttle body for sale soon if any one is interested.

Last edited by tylert14; 01-02-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 AM
12 Second Club

I think I may give up on this idea and just make a 99-02 PCM and outboard cruise control box fit in somewhere. Looks like I'll need a TCM with the E40 and I'll be left without a workable cruise control solution. Not to mention I can't find much info about using a small bore TB with the E40. Well it was worth pondering. Keep it simple stupid is the saying... Thanks for the input though guys.