Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

macewen overlays or NR overlays

Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default macewen overlays or NR overlays

I'm looking at purchasing the overlays for my camaro and wondering which out of the two is better. I been reading alot of pros and cons on this and just wanted to get more input before I purchase.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought macewen stopped making them? why not 6LE?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

They still have them. the other is a little to high for me to spend on an overlay.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MacEwen still sells them. I have had 3 sets of his (in 3 different 4th gens) and loved every set.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Bj350hp, Did you have any issues installing them?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

MacEwen silver faced gauges here and love em. Have had them in for at least 7 years and no peeling or fading or anything.
Install was super easy (no needle removal like you would have to do with NR). Just take your time to line up the numbers since these are an overlay...If I remember correctly, NR is a complete replacement not an overlay.
If you have a camaro I highly suggest getting the T/A bezel as well to finish off the look.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Good to know I can still get overlays since Mark is done making his.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need a new overlay bad since the 6le one I got bubble to heck and back. Good to the macewen are still available.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I heard couple people saying that their overlays are being retarded too.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ yea me too. Mine look so bad I'm ashamed of people getting in my car and seeing them.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Have MacEwen silver faced gauges since 2004, still looks like new- damn good quality.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lethal bird
I need a new overlay bad since the 6le one I got bubble to heck and back. Good to the macewen are still available.
Why didn't you ever contact us? We had one GP that had bad glue (it was when we still outsourced them) but all you have to do is contact us with pics, proof you're the original purchaser (we have people buying bad ones off of people we replaced them for and then trying to get another free set out of us) and we replace it with a brand new one free of charge...
Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My mcewens are terrible. Any time the temperature changes the gauges move up and down. You would think they would slide down as it gets less adhesive however they move upwards.

Long story short if your car gets hot in the summer stay away from mcewen. I have to take the gauges out and adjust the overlays every 3 months
Old 01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ mainly because I've gotten tired of them and I would just prefer stock. But just wondering if the people that bought Good used overlay then bubbled why not stand behind the product. They paid hard earned money regardless of where they bought it, its still your product. Not being a douche nor trying to get anything just curious why you only stand behind the defective product when its bought from you. I understand the fact that people tried to scam you for a free set but if they have bought them and then they bubbled i don't see why they're up the creek.

Last edited by lethal bird; 01-06-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cajunss
Bj350hp, Did you have any issues installing them?
Nope, just go by the instructions and you should be set.

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
My mcewens are terrible. Any time the temperature changes the gauges move up and down. You would think they would slide down as it gets less adhesive however they move upwards.

Long story short if your car gets hot in the summer stay away from mcewen. I have to take the gauges out and adjust the overlays every 3 months
I have never had this problem and 2 of my 4th gens lived outside in the hot Florida sun. Maybe you got a bad set?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

^^ mainly because I've gotten tired of them and I would just prefer stock. But just wondering if the people that bought Good used overlay then bubbled why not stand behind the product. They paid hard earned money regardless of where they bought it, its still your product. Not being a douche nor trying to get anything just curious why you only stand behind the defective product when its bought from you. I understand the fact that people tried to scam you for a free set but if they have bought them and then they bubbled i don't see why they're up the creek.
Not to be a douche but why in the hell would we replace the same overlay twice?

Person A buys it, it bubbles, we send them a replacement. Person A gives the bad overlay to Person B (for free or some cheap rate). Person B then tries to contact us and get it replaced pretending they bought it from us directly or that it was a used one they bought and just started doing this.

Sadly we've had this happen MANY times and once was with someone we met in person and were nice to only to realize when we checked out files they were trying to screw us...

We don't make Person A send it back to us before we send the new one (this would be a big inconvenience to our customer).

The only way for us to safeguard is by honoring defects for the original customer. Same policy every other company out there has. You can't buy a used SLP item from a board member and then expect SLP to replace it with a new one, that is ridiculous.

We would never warranty an overlay sold to a second person regardless of bubbles as they aren't made to take on and off and on and off either...
Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of companies have transferable warranties.

What if cust A bought your overlay then sold the whole cluster to B. Would you warranty it for B then?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ exactly umi, bmr, ext ext have transferable warranties. But you misunderstood me I never asked why you dont replace them twice that's just dumb. I asked why not stand behind the product if buyer A sells a good overlay to buyer B then buyer B has the product bubble. Why should buyer B be up the creek it's still your defective product regardless of where they paid for the product.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Lots of companies have transferable warranties.

What if cust A bought your overlay then sold the whole cluster to B. Would you warranty it for B then?
How would I ever be able to know that is the truth? Again, I am a small business and have to keep rules in the parameters that keep the customers I know our customers happy and my business from being exploited...

^ exactly umi, bmr, ext ext have transferable warranties. But you misunderstood me I never asked why you dont replace them twice that's just dumb. I asked why not stand behind the product if buyer A sells a good overlay to buyer B then buyer B has the product bubble. Why should buyer B be up the creek it's still your defective product regardless of where they paid for the product.
Because again we have no proof it isn't one we already replaced...

REAL SCENARIO...

We've had the situation before where someone contacted us and said,

"Hey, got an overlay, it is bubbling..."

I reply, "So sorry to hear that, we'll replace it and even make a change or two if you want, just let me know your name and paypal so I can verify you got it from us first hand..."

They reply, "Oh, I bought it from XXX"...

We reply, "Ok, no problem, we'll replace it and we'll still make changes for a small fee if you want..."

We look it up, we already replaced it...

We reply, "We already replaced this one, did you buy it from him already bubbling?"

They reply, "Yeah but I thought you'd replace it..."

We reply, "We did, you bought his garbage..."

They reply, "I spent a lot of money on this, why won't you replace it?"

Etc... Too much of a PITA. We obviously do our best to work with people but we're NOT making it policy just to have people try to abuse it...

I will dare to say we haven't had one unhappy customer (because if there were every a situation I do my bet to the point of bending over backwards to make things right) in the 3-4 years I've done this.

Doesn't mean we don't keep rules in place to keep the business going and not have my kindness (there's lots of times I've done things no other business would do, but there's also plenty of times I CAN'T do things other businesses would do, for example returns, we're small, stuff is a one off, make sure you want it before you buy it and ask all the questions you need to because short of us messing up or the product messing up you own it, we're not Summit) be taken advantage of...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol why are you guys giving Mark a hard time? How does he know it was a good overlay you bought used and then it bubbled on you. Maybe you guys are hoping to buy a 50.00 bubbled overlay and have mark do it for free and change some designs for you. So you can save 200.00

lol you don't see Koni giving away free shocks to everyone that bought a good pair used and then they took a ****. Get real.

Keep up the good work Mark.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: macewen overlays or NR overlays