Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCU? Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCU? Cruise Control?

I'm having an EROD LS3 & 4L70e swapped into my '87 Corvette. I appologize for not starting a swap thread yet...maybe later today. In the mean time there are two things I could use some help with:

We need to buy a TCU soon: I'm leaning toward the FAST EZ TCU & would appreciated your comments: Any experience with that system?

Longer term, I'd like cruise control but it's more or less de-programmed from the EROD ECM. If anyone knows how to make that work please speak up. Alternatively, does anyone have any experience with the Dakota Digital CRS-3000?

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Read through these articles?
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...nan85Part1.pdf

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...nan85Part2.pdf
Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yes thanks.

Swapping from a donor car has some advantages, including getting the TCU and cruise functionality if you grab the right parts. Neither come with the EROD.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can't the EROD ECU be reprogrammed to a different vehicle to get the trans and C/C functions?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Teching In

I bought the cruise control from adam @ spankysrodshop.net and it worked great with my GMPP LS3 system. Also, I wish I had waited and bought the TCI TCU from him as well because he said he makes the TCU harness plug directly into the interface plug by the GMPP harness fuse box. I had alot of headaches searching for cruise control before I found them. Hope this helps!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jones'n
Can't the EROD ECU be reprogrammed to a different vehicle to get the trans and C/C functions?
No, and don't know.

The transmission and engine control functions were seperated a while ago. The newer (4L80e & up) transmissions have the TCU built in. There is no TCU in the EROD ECM so a seperate TCU is needed for the 4LXXe series of transmissions.

LS engines used to use a TAC module to implement cruise. Eventually this functionality got integrated into the ECM & fly-by-wire pedal. It appears that, since the EROD is marketed toward older hot rods that may never have had cruise control, the cruise functionality has been disabled. We've tried to find out if it's possible to enable/reprogram but haven't found anyone who knows.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by matt22
I bought the cruise control from adam @ spankysrodshop.net and it worked great with my GMPP LS3 system. Also, I wish I had waited and bought the TCI TCU from him as well because he said he makes the TCU harness plug directly into the interface plug by the GMPP harness fuse box. I had alot of headaches searching for cruise control before I found them. Hope this helps!
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The benefits of the EZ-TCU are that it's very simple to program as well as monitor the transmission functions with the handheld controller. You don't have to worry about a laptop or software. If you decide you want to have the transmission shift at 6500 instead of 6000, then it just takes a few seconds to make the change.

I've got a couple of tips for the install. Just let me know when you're ready.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Kevin.

Matt, I've been trading emails with spankysrodshop. Their cruise module is pricey but sounds like it might work. I need to run it by the shop doing the swap & see what they think.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks again Matt, I just ordered the EZ-TCU & cruise control from Spanky's Rod Shop.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Teching In

You are welcome Wayne, several people have contacted me about this cruise control, I guess it's a big deal the way everyone talks, apparently a lot of people have been waiting for this to be available.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

I drove back & forth from LA to North Carolina a few times without cruise when I was in college and my right foot got real sore. I could live without it in my swap, but will be glad to have it on a road trip.

UPS tracking say's it's out for delivery today.

Quick Reply: TCU? Cruise Control?