Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Hellllp!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hellllp!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please

i was backing my car into my garage...around a shitty parking job from my mom...but my car would fit...

so i was pulling in and hadda go in at an angle...so i looked in my mirrors and blind slots....looked like i was clear...
i start pulling in and guess what NOT ANGLED ENOUGH!!! i hear a crack

its the frame of the garage doror against my drivers side rear fender

it has a vertical scratch....it dented just over the fendor lip...it looke like it scraped a bit....not a whole lot of paint loss on my part...atleast form what i can see on the garage door frame...but theres alot of powder white on my fender!!!

WHAT CAN I DO TO GET IT FIXED....will touchup paint or fillers...Blend with the NBM correctly? or will it not have the color shift and in light itll look like ****...kep in mind im picky bout the paint...so can some1 tell me what i can do PLEASe....

would i be able to clean it and get it machine buffed...(the scratch isnt that deep...not worried bout the dent all that much....just the way it looks bcuz the way it rubbed and somewhat scraped)...get a touchup paint...go to GM and see what they can do? what can i do!?!?!?! some1 please help
Old 03-16-2004, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

whats the best way to go about this...some1 please help
Old 03-16-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best way it to go to a body shop and spend the money to actually fix it. Especially with a dark color like that. second best way is to clean it up with like Meguries paint cleaner and see what the real damage is. Then take it to the detail shop and have them buf it. A good buffer (LOL) can do wonders to scratches. Make them barely noticeable.

Depends really on how bad it is. I've used Meguirs paint cleaner then paint polish and had good results with alot of scrubing. Then I'd finish it off with Zaino cause its the shiznit.

I'm no expert by anymeans just trying to help out
Old 03-16-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, tawicked pretty much hit the nail on the head. i do auto body, and the best thing is obviously to get it fixed right. the touch-up paint, and the fillers just wont like right. if buffed correctly, it can look pretty good. as long as its done right. but i wouldnt waste my money on touch-up or fillers
Old 03-16-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

What would help is some pictures so some people can give you better advice as to what to do...
Old 03-17-2004, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

ill try to get some 2morrow...ii STILL havent figgured out how to get pictures on here lol

its really looks like somehthing rubbed the paint...alot of that white....was justable to get rubbed off with a dry Bounty paper towel...and my finger nail lol...now its just a small dent...and i cant see it in light...BCUZ THERE HASNT BEEN ANY THIS DMAN CHICAGO WEATHER SUCKS!!! its not too bad...i was guessing that a detail shop would be able to buff it out...

where an i get that Meguirs paint cleaner?...that wont cause any damage right?

whats the best way to pop out a dent just above the lip of the fender>?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

You can buy the meguires at any autoparts store there is a three step package. I'd get the cleaner and the polish its VERY mild but works great. Then I'd zaino it after. Infact I do claybar my car but the meguiars is easier to use so I clay bar lightly then use the cleaner then Zaino.

As far as getting the dent out I think your stuck with it. The fendors are that dent resistent composit material which is sweet but I don't know if I'd try to knock the dent out from behind or anything. I'd just clean it up and down the road if you keep your car and put miles on it your going to need the front end repainted anyways and it will be an easy fix then.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:44 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Could the dent possibly be removed by a paintless dent repair shop? They sometimes have guys who stop in let's say once a week to do paint touch ups too....

Just a thought....
Old 03-17-2004, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the help...hopefully my dad...knos how to fix this...otherwise i got to go to my buddies dad across the street....

what about those things you can buy that can pull out dents?
dont kno what they are called...but it just pulls it out
Old 03-17-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now this is just my suggestion, i am not an expert, i have not worked in a bodyshop but i have dealt with numerous paint issues and i have fixed alot of problems myself and i consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to paint cleaning and protection. I'm not telling you what to do, so compile your data and than figure out a plan of action...

What i would do personally is first assess the damage. How big is the dent? Size of a baseball, size of a hotdog, size of a dime? Size of a half dollar?

How bad is the paint scratched? Down to the metal? Through the clar coat and basecoat?

Any bodyshop will charge the hell out of you, trust me i work for a car dealer and know all about this stuff, not to mention my gf's uncle owns a bodyshop and i have learned alot. Maybe you can spend under 100 bucks and fix this yourself, but than again i don't know how bad it is.

If its minimal you might want to goto an autoparts store, pepboys/autozone, hell even k-mart and try to find the dent king or something like that. Its a cheap little device that you see on infomercials that takes out dents. I have heard some good and bad things about it. If it doesn't work return it but try it first and see if that will take the dent out.

Forget about polishing the paint and throwing wax on it, that will do absolutely crap, you need to compound that biznitch, once again depending on the damage. If the scratch isn't too deep you might want to try to use Meguiars Scratch X http://www.properautocare.com/mescxscre.html you can find that locally. I highly recommend Menzerna products, check them out here, educate yourself: http://www.properautocare.com/mengerbespol.html

If its very deep you will probably have to have the entire fender repainted, sometimes spot painting looks like crap so you spend more to have the whole thing redone, even on the smallest section.

So to encapsulate you need to pull the dent out, assess how deep the scratch is, compound it, than use a polish to bring the compounding haze back up than seal the paint with a wax. Like i said get some pics. Find a free picture hosting service than once you have the url (www.somewhere.com/yourpick.jpg) click on the little icon that says "insert image" and type that URL in.

You might also want to pickup an inexpensive rotary buffer such as the Vector 7'' polisher/sander from autozone for 49.99 and some pads from www.properautocare.com. You might burn through the paint though with an acutal rotary but if you practice first and are confident you won't mess up your paint more than it already is. The rotary can yeild way better results than a dual action polisher that just osciliates. If your Not so confident pickup a porter cable 7424, it just jiggles and doesn't spin, virtually impossible to burn through the paint, won't "cut" as much and might take a few more passes to remove the scratches but it will help.

Hope this has helped.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL Quick3r you are EXACTLY right. But do you really want a guy without your knowledge using compound and a buffer on his newer car DARK BLUE paint job?? JMHO I've compounded a crap load of cars but I don't know that I would take compound to my 01.....

I will disagree with the forget polish cleaner, I've ran into a garage wall and the worst is all the paint that scraps off a cleaner will take that off and make it look better. Again at this point the purpose is to make it look better. As you pointed out the only way to really fix it is to fix the dent and paint the fender and then you really should blend the hood and door....

But your advice is very sound.. just reminds me of when I told my little brother to put oil on the oil filter to seal it and he started coating the sides of it with fluid
Old 03-17-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

93WickedTA1: I didn't quite mean eliminate the polishing process completely i mean't that maybe a polish like SMR will not do anything compared to if he uses Menzerna Power Gloss or something similiar. He will probably need something stronger. But who knows he may be freaking out on something that is pretty insignifigant in reality. Being that it is NBM if it does need to be repainted the entire panel will definitly need to be done. I had a few chips on my front fascia after my initial paint job and guess what, entire front repainted and hood. Every few months i intend to do this, hey thats the cost of a beautiful car heeh. Nice SOM btw...
Old 03-17-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Again I agree with you completely.

Dammn that would be sweet I wish I could afford to do that it probably helps having a bodyshop in the family doesn't it

Mine stays in the garage on nasty days buy I still have a few chips here and there
Old 03-18-2004, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Sucks to hear about the garage accident. I have no better advice to give b/c these guys have handled it pretty damn good. Hope it turns out ok. NBM and SOM are by far the best looking factory colors on these cars. That is what I plan to buy once I find a low mileage one that isnt 35 grand.

Quick Reply: Hellllp!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please