Looking for a career change

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a career change

Hey guys, I am thinking about a career change. I am 18 years old and currently an assistant manager at a restaurant which I have been working for since I was 15. My current pay is $14.00 an hour and will be willing to loose an couple bucks for the right job. I am wanting to work for a company that has benefits and opportunity's. I have a clean background and management experience. I am currently going to college. If you guys know off any openings in DFW area please let me know and ill throw a little something your way.

Thanks, David

Last edited by kingd_202; 01-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

U could go into banking? Start as a teller and move up. What are u in college for (major?)
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Yea, but really been thinking about working at a plant or rig. I am wanting to take a little break from school. I am going for my bachelors of science in nursing.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

14$ an hour as an 18yr old is real good. Id say u should keep ur job and keep going to school. Im sure they work with ur schedule where you are at
Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Yea busted my *** there, but im really done and tired off working somewhere relating to food...
Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't grow up to fast, Work will always be there.. Being young won't..
Also $14hr is really good for your age.

Rigging is a very hard job, never done it but have plenty of customers in it. They love u one day and the next your hitting the road.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense, but your life hasn't even really started yet at 18. I would just tough it out and finish school and then get a real job with your degree.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree - finish school. I know it may suck now but will pay off in long run
Old 01-07-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sup man! At the shop I work at (I believe I told you) we had an ex-employee show up a couple of days ago to say hi to everybody and what not. He told me he now works in the oilfield and makes GREAT money. I believe they start you off at 12 an hour, and you work like 60-70 hours a week, which is pretty awesome overtime (so 20 or 30 of those hours are 18 an hour).

I asked him if a lot of his co workers did Meth or coke since it's common knowledge a lot of oil workers do, but he said none of his do, that's mostly for guys on the rigs and what not.

SO! My point is, if you want to find THE BEST Meth in Texas, get your *** on a rig ASAP.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man finish your nursing degree, it will pay for itself in a few years.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

don't take a break from school unless you have to. doesn't look great on resumes and its hard to go back if you're making money.

which restaurant do you work at?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure OT is good in the oil/gas field, but look at the amount of hours you have to work to make good money. Life is too short to spend it all at work IMO.

I understand about wanting out of the restaurant industry. I worked at several when putting myself through school. I agree that you're better off staying in school. You may leave for a year, but thats also a year longer until you're in you're desired field.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

The main people who do drugs in the oil field are some casing crews. True with NO experiance the pay sux. But if you apply yourself the oay off is huge. Most people sit at home doing nothing. Why not make money doing that. I love what I do. But I tell my worms to educate themselves to be someone more than just a hand. They may hate me at the end of a haul. But they love the paydays i bring them.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Yea I understand what you guys are saying. I haven't had a break from school as soon as i graduated high school, I enrolled college the next semester.... I'm thinking off taking a break from school and work and try something new like oil fields and such. It would be nice to be able to do some manual work and try something new and I also hear it has good benefits and pay, which may want me to change my major into a field as such.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kingd_202
Yea I understand what you guys are saying. I haven't had a break from school as soon as i graduated high school, I enrolled college the next semester.... I'm thinking off taking a break from school and work and try something new like oil fields and such. It would be nice to be able to do some manual work and try something new and I also hear it has good benefits and pay, which may want me to change my major into a field as such.
finishing school is probly the smartest thing and best advise. but its not for everybody. after i graduated high school, everybody pushed me to go to college. it would have been a waste of my money. no way i would have been able to get decent grades. i had what i considered a good job opportunity. everybody told me id just get tired of it, but i knew if i went to college i'd just sit in class wondering what the job would have been like.

i went with the job and couldnt imagine doing anything else. im a union truck driver for a construction company. making great money for what i do with awesome benefits.

im not sayin to quit school, thats a decision only you can make. but i think its best to do what you really feel is best for you
Old 01-09-2012, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

I like school, but want a change. If I can find a great career that doesn't require a degree and has great opportunities, I will rethink about going to school... I am just curious of whats out there for me.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Been where you are. If you quit school and find any sort of decent job, you won't go back.

"Yea, but really been thinking about working at a plant or rig. I am wanting to take a little break from school. I am going for my bachelors of science in nursing."

You will so completely regret this in 5-10 years, I absolutely promise you. Promise promise promise...
Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kingd_202
Yea, but really been thinking about working at a plant or rig. I am wanting to take a little break from school. I am going for my bachelors of science in nursing.
As a fellow BSN major with 3 semesters to go FINISH SCHOOL.
Hell once you are a senior you can start working in a hospital as a senior nurse tech or get your CNA license after your first semester and fundamentals.

DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT. Go into a refinery/rigging. You will like the money and never go back to school.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

i just finished my degree in political science--believe me when i say that school is just one of those things you have to grind out. i never wanted to go in the first place, but i quickly realized that many jobs out there require a 4 year degree minimum to be taken seriously.

also, if you decide to take a break, depending on the length of your break you will likely be billed for your loans, dropped from your parents' insurance, and after 2 years i believe your credits will no longer be valid and you'll have to retake them.

you also need to consider workplace injury, which is fairly common in this line of work. ive met several rough necks who have had fingers cut off, limbs broken, etc.. chances are they weren't paying attention when the accidents happened, but this kind of thing could happen to anybody. what would you do if something happened to you and you could not work for a while?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

I'd stay in school. Your making great money.

Oil field is good money but it's long hours and harder work then your doing now. Also oil work comes and goes, if your first in your first out... Stay where you have some seiority, finish school, then go break away if you want, at least then you will have something to fall back onto....