Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Costly Mistake? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Costly Mistake? Please Help

Well since I've heard of people gutting their cats or replacing them with straight pipe, I thought it would be a good idea for slight performance and different sound.

I replaced my cats with the mufflex kit. When I started the car right after the install, there was smoke and it was running rich (obviously due to the computer being confused and there were no longer any cats). On the drive home the smoke went away and the SES light never came on.

Now here is my concern. Do I have enough back pressure to prevent any damage from occuring? i.e. swallowing a valve or f*ckin anything up internally?

I also plan on dyno tuning to fix A/F ratio. The reason I replaced the cats to begin with was because they were rattling like rocks. Do I need to go back and tear out all my work and just buy new cats? Can this be fixed by dyno tuning to advance the timing? What should I do? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rice Burner
Well since I've heard of people gutting their cats or replacing them with straight pipe, I thought it would be a good idea for slight performance and different sound.

I replaced my cats with the mufflex kit. When I started the car right after the install, there was smoke and it was running rich (obviously due to the computer being confused and there were no longer any cats). On the drive home the smoke went away and the SES light never came on.

Now here is my concern. Do I have enough back pressure to prevent any damage from occuring? i.e. swallowing a valve or f*ckin anything up internally?

I also plan on dyno tuning to fix A/F ratio. The reason I replaced the cats to begin with was because they were rattling like rocks. Do I need to go back and tear out all my work and just buy new cats? Can this be fixed by dyno tuning to advance the timing? What should I do? Thanks for the help.
If you don't need emission testing get it tuned and have fun
Old 03-16-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will be alright man..........plenty of peeps on the board not running cats. Like blktie said get it tuned and have fun.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Dont worry about it causing any damage but make sure you get some O2 sims and put them on the sensors AFTER were the cats used to be not before.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks a lot. How should I drive the car before I get it tuned? I haven't taken it past 2500 rpms yet because I am worried I will mess up the valves as mentioned earlier? Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks a lot. How should I drive the car before I get it tuned? I haven't taken it past 2500 rpms yet because I am worried I will mess up the valves as mentioned earlier? Thanks again.
With just a off road y pipe you dont need to have it tuned but you have to get O2 sims? Do you have them?
Old 03-16-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i feel the less backpressure the better, hence the dual cutouts i run

dont worry about messing anything up
Old 03-16-2004, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

when you gutted your cats did you put O2 sims in the rear??
Old 03-16-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u have sims dont worry nothing will mess up i have no cats and gmmg and my friend has no cats and loudmouth, both those cat backs flow real good and our cars are running great. id rather be rich than lean but just takin the cats off wont be bad. i did the same and just took off the cats with the same pipes, yeah the air fuel was off a little bit just cause the cyl can fire a lot better now wiht fresh air and gas. just get it all tuned right and like said before, enjoy what cat back do u have?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

when you gutted your cats did you put O2 sims in the rear??
Not yet. I just did this today.

if u have sims dont worry nothing will mess up i have no cats and gmmg and my friend has no cats and loudmouth, both those cat backs flow real good and our cars are running great. id rather be rich than lean but just takin the cats off wont be bad. i did the same and just took off the cats with the same pipes, yeah the air fuel was off a little bit just cause the cyl can fire a lot better now wiht fresh air and gas. just get it all tuned right and like said before, enjoy what cat back do u have?
I have borla on the car now. The cats aren't gutted. I replaced them with straight pipe, the mufflex kit. The O2 simms will go on the car by friday if I can find some in the South FL area.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

With just a off road y pipe you dont need to have it tuned but you have to get O2 sims? Do you have them?
The reason I wanted to get it tuned was because I have a couple other minor mods on the car and I want the A/F ratio back to normal I think it is running too rich.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tuning will be good either way. but i got the same pipe u have right before i got headers i know what your talkin about. i used my predator to monitor things but nothing was so far off to be concerned. u can bring those rpms up if you want
Old 03-16-2004, 09:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Nothing to worry about. My car saw 6000+ rpm MANY times after removing my cats before I ever even considered tuning.

Tuning is not even close to 'required' for cat removal. O2 sims will take care of the SES light that you'll eventually get without the cats (or tuning can take care of it too if you go that route).....
Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Excellent. Thanks a lot. I wonder what the deal is with sound ordinances in my area...