Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Registering Out Of State???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering Out Of State???

Ok so I am kind of stuck on this...

I have recently just got back home from on Deployment, bought an 02 SS and went out and got a car just like everyone else does as soon as they arrive home... My parents live in TN still and my Drivers License is still TN... I am stationed in Norfolk, Virginia though on ***... and my concern living here is their strict Laws!!! Here you have to slap on some ugly *** VA License plate on the front of that pretty SLP SS grille, the Tint is some ridiculously high number for the legal limit ANDDDDDDD if that hasn't convinced you yet, they also have Emissions & Inspection checks!! So there goes deleting my AIR, my Off-road Y pipe idea with a QTP Electric Cutout setup, and to top that all off... I called around to several different muffler shops and they don't even wanna touch putting on my Long Tube Headers.... For crying out loud... Virginia just isn't the place for an f-body owner who is serious about modding his new SS!! Haha... so here is my question to everybody.... what would you do?? Would you register your car in VA for a low tax percent of like 4-5% totaling in a fee of $500 and slap a license plate on the front, forget about the tint, forget about deleting my AIR and doing my exhaust lol orrrrrrr just send all of the paperwork ( I.e. Title, Bill of sale, copy of my recent orders) to my Father and let him register my car for me in TN and pay their 7% plus fees totaling in $1,062 for new tags, registered, and out the door???? It's just a little bit of a difference in price lol but I guess what my question to yall is... is it worth it??? Is it really worth it guys?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am stationed in CA and just registered my CTS-V in Delaware which is my home of record and where my DL is issued. I have friends who registered their vehicles in TN and said it was quite easy. Contact the TN DMV and get the info. They may have discounts for military registration or have cheaper renewal prices.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

This year I have to get an Out-Of-State Exemption for AZ emissions for both cars as well as renew their registrations. It's going to cost me about $24.00 for both cars for one year. Contact TN DMV and they'll hook you up. TN loves her vets, that's for sure.

Quick Reply: Registering Out Of State???