Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock manifold, no cats and cutout

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock manifold, no cats and cutout

Anyone have a sound clip of this setup? Stock manifold, straight pipe where the cats are and a cutout in the I on a stock motor? Think I will lose a lot of low end power? I already have the cutout, it isnt loud enough for me though so I am thinking about getting rid of the cats
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

What about headers they may help, is your cats gutted
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Removing those cats on stock manifolds, cutout or not, is going to be extremely raspy..
Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Can afford headers right now and honestly don't feel like dealing with them. I'm just tryin to make the car a lot louder and no my cats are not gutted at te moment. I thought about buying the lm1 catback but it doesn't sound as loud as my car is now
Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

i have stock manifolds on mine and gutted cats with SLP LM2 and I think its to loud, I have to turn my radio almost all the way up on the interstate to hear it. I used to have LM1 but it was to loud, there are to many cops in richmond
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Nice, people told me gettin a cutout would be loud but it's not really. I will probably straight pipe where the cats are and sell them
Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sladester2
Can afford headers right now and honestly don't feel like dealing with them. I'm just tryin to make the car a lot louder and no my cats are not gutted at te moment. I thought about buying the lm1 catback but it doesn't sound as loud as my car is now
I have the stock manifolds, O/R Y, and a Magnaflow Catback (straight through design I believe) on mine. It's very deep and somewhat mellow when you're just cruising but it does get VERY loud and nasty when you get up into the revs. You can have a mean sounding car without LT's, but you need to definitely get rid of your cats though.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Imao....with just a straight pipe, and no cats...(a cutout doesn't matter at that point)..It's loud...but sounds just like a truck... When I cut my Flowmaster off to get my TDs..I drove it around for a week.. At first I thought it sounded good..for about a day.. Higher rpm crazy rasp, That was with the cats... Sounds too much like a hill-rod truck...
Lt's with ory, or TDs will sound crisp, loud---depending....
Don't settle for half *** on your exhaust..I wish from the rip I would've done mine right...Ended spending extra money cause I wanted the quick fix..
Old 01-06-2012, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks alot for your advice! Im still looking for a sound clip of it just incase I think it sounds good. plus I can make money by getting rid of the cats.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7mlArSR0rQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSkriHX-hM

It is annoying to drive with the cutout open day-to-day but, it works well at the track.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Save up and get the long tubes, put the LM1 on there and you can enjoy not being able to talk at any speed. In all seriousness, it's realllllllly loud, sounds very good IMO but eventually the constant drone will make you wanna die. OR if you really want stupid loud, and I mean STUPID loud, just run LT's and that's it. lol
Old 01-07-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing is going to be loud on stock manifolds. LM1 is actually pretty tame on the stockers.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres mine with stock manifolds, No cats, stock y pipe, LM1. pretty much will sound like this. I now have a LM2 on there and I love it. No drone inside the car whatsoever.

With LM1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ZkQ...F6QJQzds9HF8nH
With LM2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDV5...PO-wfrWvfE1kfc
Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7mlArSR0rQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSkriHX-hM

It is annoying to drive with the cutout open day-to-day but, it works well at the track.
I presume your second video is with the cutout open, yes? (I figure the first one is because you mention that's how you run it at the track)

If so, do you have any sound bytes or videos of the cat-less exhaust with the cutout closed, running through the mufflers? And better yet, are you running the factory muffler behind that cutout, or an aftermarket one?

I've been considering the exact same modification the OP has for quite a while now, after much consideration I thought it'd be best to go headers, but to get it done right will run me somewhere in the league of nearly twice over what it would cost me to do an ORY from a vendor or have one fabricated myself. I am mostly concerned with sound only, and while it's always fun to have more power, there isn't a situation around here I can use it, because I can't get traction as-is with the stock power. I'm not interested ONE BIT in roasting good tires either.

I'm excited to see this thread has gotten the responses it has also, not many people talk about or take this approach for sound (especially given almost everyone goes for headers for power instead.)
Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

The power is the added benifit of headers...But headers, let everyone know you have headers...I chose true duels for sound more than power...Best sounding exhaust imao..True nascar/muscle sound...Nothing better than when a camaro, stang, ta, ect, drives by and gives alittle rev...then I blast their doors off with mine.... all they can think is.."DAMM"..
Old 01-08-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBluGruv
I presume your second video is with the cutout open, yes? (I figure the first one is because you mention that's how you run it at the track)

If so, do you have any sound bytes or videos of the cat-less exhaust with the cutout closed, running through the mufflers? And better yet, are you running the factory muffler behind that cutout, or an aftermarket one?
1) Yes, the cutout was open.
2) Yes, see below (the best I have on hand). This is with the factory muffler. It sounds good despite having 4.10s even when buzzing down the highway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMZH2-AvvI

People have too much bloody money...

Cheers!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
1) Yes, the cutout was open.
2) Yes, see below (the best I have on hand). This is with the factory muffler. It sounds good despite having 4.10s even when buzzing down the highway.

People have too much bloody money...

Cheers!
Thank you for posting that.

Does the definition of the exhaust note become more pronounced even with the factory muffler? As in, that overlap tone in the exhaust is more aggressive? When I de-catted my Marauder a few years ago, the overlap tone was night-and-day, thing sounded like a vintage hotrod, and that's the kind of sound I'm looking for. I also take it that no cats and open cutout is pretty loud in person (didn't really convey well over camera, but what does?)?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

MrbluGruv I will let you know how it sounds tomorrow if everything goes to plan I am taking the cats off tomorrow and I have an open cutout already. I will be sure to post a video of the sound if I do and let you know how I feel about it.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sladester2
MrbluGruv I will let you know how it sounds tomorrow if everything goes to plan I am taking the cats off tomorrow and I have an open cutout already. I will be sure to post a video of the sound if I do and let you know how I feel about it.
You, sir, are a true gentleman.

I think a vid of cats-off and cutout open AND one with the cutout closed would do wonders for this exact situation and question for future reference. Of course, a nice mic (i.e. won't that won't overdrive easily) would help ten-fold with that proposal as well.

I'm looking forward to how it all sounds and turns out for you!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks! Yup I'll get a good camera for it, I think it will sound pretty good, at least I'm hoping lol. I might eve like it better with the cutout closed. Who knows:p

Quick Reply: stock manifold, no cats and cutout