Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pushing water damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pushing water damage?

My motor seemed to be pushing water so I pulled the heads today to put in some arp studs and cometic gaskets.

The drivers side had shiney areas at the tops of the pistons and head. But the passenger side had the same clean areas but it is no longer smooth its almost like a sandblasted finish but not as bad. Is this from the water or something else? The plugs showed no signs of detonation.
\
Old 01-07-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like the heads were lifting especially not using studs. If I was you I would have used LS9 gaskets.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Why the LS9's?

I had cometics on my old block with studs and never had a problem. when I switched blocks my 04 and up studs wouldn't work so I chanced it with stock bolts.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blacksi
Why the LS9's?

I had cometics on my old block with studs and never had a problem. when I switched blocks my 04 and up studs wouldn't work so I chanced it with stock bolts.
Cause there bamfs!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why the LS9's?

Because the heads are always going to lift or flex at some point, and if you look at the LS9 gasket you can see that it will take more lift than a std MLS before it looses seal. Also be sure your head surface is flat.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But the passenger side had the same clean areas but it is no longer smooth its almost like a sandblasted finish
That my friend is from detonation, you were on your way to eating a hole in a piston. You need to take a fresh look at all aspects of your setup from air & fuel distribution & timing
Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by koolrayz
That my friend is from detonation, you were on your way to eating a hole in a piston. You need to take a fresh look at all aspects of your setup from air & fuel distribution & timing
I agree with the way it looks being how detonation typically looks. I did have some oil in my charge pipe, I wonder if that could be causing it? Maybe that is why the rest of the chamber is so black?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by koolrayz
X2! detonation all the way....your heads were lifting at some point but sounds like it shows detonation
Old 01-08-2012, 09:27 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the way it looks being how detonation typically looks. I did have some oil in my charge pipe, I wonder if that could be causing it? Maybe that is why the rest of the chamber is so black?
If the oil is only in the downpipe (not intake) it has something to do with the oil not draining from the turbo correctly. if it is in the intake it probably is valve seals. Need to post up pictures of everything, not just those shitty pictures of the heads.

Quick Reply: Pushing water damage?