Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Assistance Please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exhaust Assistance Please.

I have a 2000 TA with a stock exhaust except for a Magnaflow muffler. I'm lokking at LTs, what kind. How should I approach the cats and Y-pipe? I need some expertise because, frankly, i'm stupid.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you in need of an emissions friendly setup or would an Off Road Y-pipe suffice? Do you want a nice shiney ceramic coating or stainless steel or just plain high temp painted headers? Is ground clearance an issue? Is cost that much of an issue?

These are a few basic questions that you need to answer before considering LT's. Some brands offer the ceramic coating which keeps the temps down under the hood of the car (this is the claim never seen any proof personally) as well as the added benefit of the nice ceramic finish for the bling, bling effect. Some headers have issues with banging the y-pipe against the floorboard and others rub the k-member. Some are a bitch to install yet some aren't.

FWIW I have Hooker headers and have had little issue with them. The install went smooth and I was pleased with the overall finish and quality of them. The price was reasonable and I was able to buy them locally and skip any shipping charges. I did and still do have a k-member to clearance b/c it is to close to one of the primaries. Also putting my O2 sensors in was a pain. Also the paper gasket and supplied bolts suck.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

look one post up under jrp's sticky
Old 03-16-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

www.ls1sounds.com
Old 03-17-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Off-road Setup

What are the odds of me getting "BUSTED"for having an off road setup (that's actually the route I wanna take)? Plus price is the most over reaching issue.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

where arre you located?

in cali id say the odds are pretty good. All the local cops are going through this bitch *** training program that teachs them more about illegal car parts
Old 03-17-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Located in South Carolina

Originally Posted by Jamie33
where arre you located?

in cali id say the odds are pretty good. All the local cops are going through this bitch *** training program that teachs them more about illegal car parts
Well, I live in Good Ol' South Carolina, where most of the cops actually try to race me all the time. I have no idea if they're are going through that same program here or not.