Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Canot Get into any gear!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canot Get into any gear!!!!

i have a 06 gto with a m6, the guy i bought it from said he put in a monster stage 3 clutch in have not been able to verify visually but it is very stiff and aggresive when it hooks up.. two days ago i go i had a very hard time putting it in any gear now it doesnt go in at all with the car running.(they all go in car off) o checked the master cyl for preasure leaks everything is good hold preasure and pedal comes back. also i noticed a vibration (moderate) comming from the whole car when i rev up (2-3k) any suggestions on what could be causing this? i want to eliminate everything i can before having to drop the tranny... any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the bottom of the bell housing by the slit for fluid? The most common thing is the slave and would give the symptoms you listed.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:16 PM

Yes I checked the whole hydraulic system for leaks nothing was there as far as leaks where concerned the pedal holds pressure. my cousin got down there with an inspection mirror nd saif he saw the preassure plate moving quite a bit.... I might have to tear it down tomorrow. I have been reading it could be a speinge in the clutch itself which would kinda explain mh vibration im getting.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 PM

It's not uncommon for the slave cylinders on these cars to take a poop and further a stage 3 clutch makes your entire hydraulic system work harder, further it provides limited additional performance benefit if it does not have the additional power to hold. The slave cylinder on my GTO failed without leaking any fluid at 55k. No more getting into gear. Unfortunately you have to drop the trans to get at the slave cylinder. I went with a monster stage 1 with a lightweight flywheel, new hydraulic lines and tick master cylinder. I highly recommend this setup as it is reliable and robust. The feel is great and the clutch grabs hard. A good alternative to monster is a stock ls2 clutch which is also very robust and reliable. I would not recommend a stage 2 or 3 unless you've got a blower on your goat as your just asking for trouble. Either way you need to have a pro look at your car.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Teching In

A couple of months ago I had my 04 M6 rebuilt and drove it home from the shop. At the time of the bebuild I replaced the slave cylinder. The drive home was great but days later had troubles engaging 1st gear. I was able to pump the clutch pedal several, several times and was eventually able to get into 1st. Then a couple of start ups later, I was unable to put the car into any gear. I went back to the shop again and was informed the clutch system had air in the lines and needed to be bled. Per the shop the system is very difficult to bleed. After bleeding the system I have not had any issues.

Last edited by johnylaw; 01-11-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Teching In

If the pedal still has pressure its not the slave. Most likely the Disc is seized to the flywheel or the Pressure plate. I have seen this happen may times. Either way the trans needs to come out.

Quick Reply: Canot Get into any gear!!!!