Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tips on making a stock crank live

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on making a stock crank live

I'm in the process of putting my car back together after last years carnage. Decided to sell the twins and go with a simple single GT91. Already bought the turbo and have the crossover built using the tried and true truck manifolds. Still have parts to buy to finish the turbo kit but want to get a shortblock together soon.

Decided to get a lq9 block and crank and build from that. The pistons will be -3.2 wisecos with Callies I beam rods.

Looking to push my car into the 8's at 3300 lbs raceweight (hopefully I can get it there). Was really close with less than 800 rwhp at a no weight reduction 3470 lbs. with a best of 9.13 @151. I'm thinking that same power would get me there at a lighter weight. If not, I'm sure a few more pounds of boost would do it too

Would pinning the main caps help the stock crank last? Should I spend the money on billet mains? Not really in my budget but should I forget about the stock crank and get a quality forged piece? Keep in mind the last motor only lasted 30 passes maybe, so I'm looking for reliability.

This is a track only car (for now) so it won't see any easy miles.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Chad everything I have seen says most people would rather have a pinned stock main cap then a non pinned billet main cap.

That being said get the mains pinned and throw that thing together with the stock crank. Don't let me motor scare you.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been so back and forth with this it's not even funny. Just been real leary since you bent your crank Dan ( that just sounds bad )

Quick Reply: Tips on making a stock crank live