Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nova Oil pan- Hitting steering link

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nova Oil pan- Hitting steering link

Here is a pic of my lq9 starting to get put in my nova. The oil pan is touching the steering link and the mount seems to be at least 6" above where it needs to be. Any chance I can cut this much out of the pan?? The car is manual steering and I've heard there is a difference in the link location.
Attached Thumbnails Nova Oil pan- Hitting steering link-imag0525.jpg   Nova Oil pan- Hitting steering link-imag0524.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Any chance you could take a pic from below looking up to get a nice view of the interference?

Here's a link to measuring/figuring out if you have the correct long/short steering arms for whatever steering is in the car, but looks like there's only ~0.5" difference in length:

http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_st...eering_linkage

Also, what motor mount plates do you have?

My setup uses the "zero setback" type of plates and the short steering arms (power steering setup), and it clears the front of the truck sump. I recall a good finger-width of steering centerlink clearance to the oilpan, so the center link might just clear with the longer (manual) steering arm setup. If you're using 0.75" setback or 1.5" setback motor mount plates then the oil pan should be clearing any stock steering setup...

-Joe
Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like, from what I can tell in the pics, you are using an adapter that would put the engine too far forward. I also see you have a truck oil pan. This pan should locate just fine in the neutral or 1" set back location. Even if you can align the pan and prevent the interference at the center link, your pan will hang too far below the crossmember and could possibly be damaged while driving. I agree with FroJoe, we need some pics from below to get a better understanding of what is going on. Hope you get it figured out!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I will get more pics. I see what y'all mean concerning the setback. I thought the motor was too far forward. I will have to check this out some time today and figure out what is going on. I bought the motor mount plates off of ebay.

Paul
Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Joe and tsnow678, thanks for the help. I looked into it more and made a rookie mistake. I left the A/C bracket on and the plates would only fit on one way, but how the manufacturer said the would. I pulled the A/C bracket and swapped the plates and everything worked liked its supposed to. Now i'm in the position every other X-body guy is concerning how low the sump is, but I think i'm gonna buy one. Here are some pics. I dont think the steering link is hitting, but if its not only a piece of paper would fit between the two. My pan may be different from yours Joe, its hitting the cross member just enough to cause the motor not to slip in the mounts.
Attached Thumbnails Nova Oil pan- Hitting steering link-imag0527.jpg   Nova Oil pan- Hitting steering link-imag0528.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

What motor mounts, adapters and frame stands are you using? Those frame stands don't look like any I've seen before.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

The engine brackets are OER manufacterer and the P/N is 718893. Was told they would work from the guy who sold em to me for $10. The Frame stands are Anchor P/N 2292. Sounds like this could also be a problem I am having.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I am using the clamshell set up for motor mounts. After doing some research, I found that Chevy switched to the "new" clamshell design in '72. The insulator mounts to the frame and the steel bracket to the motor. My Ventura originally had a Pontiac 350 with a bolt coming from the bottom into the insulator attached to the motor. Please inform me if I am wrong.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I have no idea if you are wrong, but that is also not the most typical setup for 1st gen Camaro / 3rd gen Nova LSx swaps. Check out the x-body thread in my sig and see what others have been using.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing a spacer here or there wont fix. The muscle car pan works in my car, but if your bump stops are not good you will have issues, My springs are weak and until i installed new poly bump stops it scrapped too many times.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, Ill check it out. Right now things look real good and I just ordered the Moroso 20140 Oil Pan. If it looks good Im gonna run it with the mount set up I have. I know in '72 the x-bodies added a tab to the frame for the new style clamshell mount.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Was just gonna add... truck pans haven't changed at all to my knowledge, and I checked my car last night and there's a good 1.5" clearance between the steering center link and the oil pan sump...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Any pics of the stands mounted on the frame,are you sure they are on correct? Any pics from the top so we can see the position of the engine to the firewall or front cross member.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Here are some pics with the motor out. The tab on the aft end of the x member i believe is the tab GM added to accept the clamshell mount.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mount setup that you are currently using came out in 73. 68-72 all had the mount on the engine and a steel bracket on the frame identical to the first gen camaros. 73 and up were front steer cars and 68-72 were rear steer. I believe you can make your set up work but it may take some adjustment on your part.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info! Ive been digging around trying to figure the mount difference out, and my car originally having a pontiac engine didnt make it easier.

Joe, concerning the oil pans, my p/n is 12577396. I looked this number up and it shows to be a 5.3 oil pan, but my motor is an LQ9. I verified the 6.0L on the block and the block casting number. This pan is not in the " oil pan sticky", but there are 2 different truck pans in there and they have different distances from the front of the pan to the sump.

Because the truck pan I have now is hitting the x member, Im thinking the moroso pan will allow it to fit in the mounts fine. Ill update the thread when my pan comes in.

Quick Reply: Nova Oil pan- Hitting steering link