Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code: P0106

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Code: P0106

finished with a head and cam swap today, I have a mail order tune from a very reputable tuner. I turned the key engine fired right up. I let the motor go through a few heat cycles then i took it for a drive maybe 5 miles, no codes or anything. Later this after noon i went back out and started it and let it heat up then shut it down. Wife gets home i take her out back to show her my handy work, she sits in the car i fire it up. its idleing perfect then BAM, throws a code P0106. also about the same time it threw the Traction control light came on (to tell me dynamic control had been disabled). The traction control light was there before the head/cam swap due to some issues with the ABS. I tryed to ABS fixer but i guess it didnt fix it. Any idea why i threw my MAP sensor code? i know this is pretty common with a larger cam car and can be tuned out (i thought the tuner would have done this already). But if the code poped up from not being tuned out then shouldn't the code have poped up as soon as i fired it up the first time?

also the engine was running and idling great so i don't think i have a vacuum leak
Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
finished with a head and cam swap today, I have a mail order tune from a very reputable tuner. I turned the key engine fired right up. I let the motor go through a few heat cycles then i took it for a drive maybe 5 miles, no codes or anything. Later this after noon i went back out and started it and let it heat up then shut it down. Wife gets home i take her out back to show her my handy work, she sits in the car i fire it up. its idleing perfect then BAM, throws a code P0106. also about the same time it threw the Traction control light came on (to tell me dynamic control had been disabled). The traction control light was there before the head/cam swap due to some issues with the ABS. I tryed to ABS fixer but i guess it didnt fix it. Any idea why i threw my MAP sensor code? i know this is pretty common with a larger cam car and can be tuned out (i thought the tuner would have done this already). But if the code poped up from not being tuned out then shouldn't the code have poped up as soon as i fired it up the first time?

also the engine was running and idling great so i don't think i have a vacuum leak
When the MAF doesn't work right the computer substitutes values from the MAP sensor, that's why our cars will run fine with the MAF unplugged. So with that code it is most likely using the MAP signal instead of the MAF.

Check your connections real good to the MAF, check the wires really closely where they enter the MAF connector, I've seen them break inside the insulation, you can pull on each wire at the connector if the wire is broke the insulation will break and the wire pops in half basically.

But FIRST make sure the MAF isn't really dirty, part of normal maintenance should be cleaning the MAF especially if you have an oiled air filter, oil gets on the MAF and then dirt collects and it can't read properly. They make cleaners specifically for cleaning them. Spray down the little wires that look like resistors and go from there.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

the MAF is clean and i have a regular air filter in right now. Im thinking its related to the tune. The same time my check engine light went off for the P0106, my traction and ABS lights went off. i guess it took that long for my computer system to reset or something like that
Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Code: P0106