Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARH Header Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ARH Header Install Help

I've been searching the forums for information and can not seem much info. I am installing ARH headers on my 02, and I had a hell of a time getting the passenger side header in the car. I finally got the header in the car, but I had to remove the starter to do so. I have the header in the car loose with one bolt in the head but now I can not find a spot to slide the starter between the k member, header and transmission lines. I read one post where someone disassembled the starter and then reassembled it once they got it by the header, but i'd like to try and avoid that. If anyone with ARH headers has any ideas, I would love to hear how you got this done. I can not seem to fathom installing the header with the starter in place, but maybe someone has done it. Also, what did you do about your hard lines from the transmission. They will be very close to the headers when it's all said and done. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok.. i know its not a good succestion, but i've seen ppl here working for like 20hours or more on header install, and you talk about dissasemble the starter motor and re assemble,

it takes about 2 hours to drop the k member with the whole engine assembly on the floor, and about the same to re install, isint that than the easyer way to do it? i installed my headers when i swapped the motor, and it was so nice
Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm wondering if you may have the wrong headers...all the ARHs I've ever installed went in so easy, I thought I had done something wrong. The only thing that comes out on that side is the dipstick tube, otherwise that header should slide in in seconds
Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed ARH headers a couple weeks ago. The headers themselves slid in pretty much perfectly fine. The motor mounts were the issue. We had the car on 4 jackstands and we did have to remove the heat shield on the passenger side for clearance to install the passenger header from underneath giving us the right angle and then reinstalled the heat shielding. Never had to touch the starter whatsoever...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Teching In

LS one day, is your car an auto?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it is
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Teching In

We're your hard lines for the transmission very close to the headers? I'm thinking I am going to have to modify the lines or build a bracket/shield to protect them. I don't want to reheat the fluid as it travels in the line from the cooler. If you had any pictures of your install that would be very helpful. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately I had some friends help with mine and I didn't work on putting the headers in from the bottom myself so I'm not sure. I have a picture of under the car but It was after the install and after the car was back on the tires so I don't know if it will show what you want. I did take it to my mechanic afterwards, he didn't say anything about it being close to the trans lines.

If your lines are too close to the header(s) you could possibly buy some thermal wrap to block the lines from the heat. I bought some for the ABS and starter wires because they were really close to the passenger header. It's about $25 at AutoZone and you get a pretty long roll of it.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is incase anyone else had a hard time installing arh headers. I just installed mine today.my car is an M6. Bought used from a friend.but in excellent shape. I have poly motor mounts and the passenger side header would not go in. It would get stuck half way up on the trans where the starter goes and this piece of metal that is welded to the tunnel. I ended up grinding down that metal on the tunnel and a little off the trans and the header slid right in.

This thread helped me while I was doing my install so I figure post my experience for the next guy incase this happens to anyone.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome im saving for 1 7/8 arh long tubes. I know on their sight it ask for specific year of your car when ordering so maybe different yr headers matter.

Quick Reply: ARH Header Install Help