Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Water Pump or factory pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Water Pump or factory pump?

My water pump is going bad. I have been told I should put an electric water pump on. Will get more HP and it's a better pump. Has anyone installed one on their LS1 and if so was it difficult, did you have to change the set up as far as pulley and fan belt ect? Does anyone have a pic of theirs? I plan on ordering a pump by the end of the week. Would like some insight of which one to order, electric pump or one from the GM dealer? Any help would be appreciated. My friend said with what my car runs in the 1/4 mile now by putting on an electric pump I should have no problem getting in the 12's in the 1/4.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 PM
FormerVendor

I would not put on an electric pump on a street car. They simply don`t flow enough 20-25% less than stock. If you are looking for an improvement I offer the Evans water pump flows 20-25% more than stock. It is based off the stock pump has better components and some machining in it. Info https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/137942-evans-water-pump-gp.html

I will come close to the GP price for you and have them ready to ship. Or I may have a used one we pulled out for you.

Nate
Old 03-16-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

I would not put on an electric pump on a street car
I would tend to agree with this statement. I think unless you are going for an all out race car setup that a regular or as above upgraded pump should suffice. The gains have shown to be lacking justification for the cost. But believe me if I ever get maxed out on mods and still need power I would throw some money at an electric pump b/c although the gains are little they are still HP gains.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

They're good for a 'Drag mostly' car- not a street car as mentioned above - although there have been several posts where there have been no HP gains with the Meziere (course doesn't mean track times aren't slightly better).

I was going with the Meziere until I read up on them and talked to Nate - showed me the error of my ways

I bought an Evans pump from Nate - VERY nice and I don't have to worry about reliability!
Old 03-17-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

excellent instructions here http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=26

also i've got a used waterpump off of my 1998 with 60k miles if you wnat to buy it....

i thought it was my pump leaking, but it was the paper gasket that they used in the '98s that disintegrated.....but i bought a $260 new one from the dealer already and they don't accept returns!
Old 03-18-2004, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info skunk50. I have a friend that's a mech at the pontiac dealer and he's going to come and check the car to make sure it is the pump going bad first before I buy one. I'm going to order a new one from the dealer if it is. I am going to put a stock pump back on it. Thanks for the offer.