Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle problem/AIR delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default idle problem/AIR delete

So I put in my let's about a few months ago and did a redneck AIR delete in the process bcuz I didn't even think about that system untilled it was too late. And by redneck air delete I mean I removed the metal tubes going to where the stock manifolds were and then cut the rubber feed line from the air lid and plugged the hole in my lid with duct tape. I meant to get around to it but well between my wife and being active duty I have not. I've had idle issues where at startup my car would almost die and had idle problems since. Some days are better than others and one day was getting bad misfires. I replaced the o2 sensors and it fixed it. Now I'm getting the same idle problems again and hesitation and I replaced my o2 again and still having the problem and I can feel it getting worse. No major mods done only Bbk intake and headers. Car is an 2001. Could the shitty AIR delete have caused all this?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you remove all the hoses? There is a small vacuum hose in the back that connects to the a/c system. If that's open, you've got a vacuum leak.

I took out the pump, all hoses, pipes, etc. and other than the SES light, it ran the same as before.

Jon
Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

No I have not taken those hoses out. Literally just cut a section out of the line running to the air box and then unplugged the ones in back. I know its redneck as hell but figured there was a valve or something didn't know if it would be exposed to a vacuum leak. Can I just plug up the hoses until I can get back in there?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

As long as the vacuum line is intact and the check valves are in place, it really doesn't matter what happens to the rest. It'll sit until you can get to it officially.

Jon
Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Try pulling the AIR pump fuse
Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had wondered about pulling that fuse and how it would effect the motor without it being tuned out but wouldn't I still have a vacuum leak
Old 01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Was it running fine for a few months, and just now started acting up? If not, there's a hole at the back of the intake that the AIR system is connected to that I had to put a screw in to plug up when I got rid of my AIR for my headers, did you plug up that hole? That should be the only hole that makes any difference IIRC. Search for an AIR delete thread and you'll see what I'm talking about, I found a few when I was doing mine.