Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno vs Mail order tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dyno vs Mail order tune

I was wondering what the difference was on these other than one is a mail order and the other is done at a shop. Pros and cons? Getting headers and I know I will need a tune after so just wanted to see what would work best for my car.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Mez
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwright41
I was wondering what the difference was on these other than one is a mail order and the other is done at a shop. Pros and cons? Getting headers and I know I will need a tune after so just wanted to see what would work best for my car.
Would you get a vasectomy done mail order?

Seriously, while a mail order tune may be OK for a car with a headers only mod, a dyno tune by a qualified tuner is still the best. No body can argue this point. A mail order tune is an educated guess to put it bluntly. I've heard many horror stories from guys that bought mail order tunes. On the dyno, you will see how much power it makes before and after tuning. Also, the car either makes the power it should and runs right or it doesn't. If the dyno tuner is good, he will work on it until its right. Idle tuning is very tricky to do and is the most sensitive to slight air flow tuning changes.

When you put it on the dyno, the air/fuel ratio is should be monitored as well as full scan including logging knock retard. On a dyno, you will know right away if the car is making the horsepower and torque it should with the mods. If it is a significantly less, then you have to start doing basic diagnosis and look for a reason why. That may be vacuum leaks, bad plugs, exhaust leaks, bad O2 sensor, ignition wires, improperly routed PCV systems, etc. You would be surprised how many vehicles have serious mechanical issues that only come to light during dyno tuning.

A dyno tune from a respected tuner is well worth the cost and piece of mind.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not taking the venom out of the snake so no need for the mail order hahahaha!! Nicely put though! Thanks for helping me with this. Will definitely be getting it on a dyno then.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mez
Would you get a vasectomy done mail order?

Seriously, while a mail order tune may be OK for a car with a headers only mod, a dyno tune by a qualified tuner is still the best. No body can argue this point. A mail order tune is an educated guess to put it bluntly. I've heard many horror stories from guys that bought mail order tunes. On the dyno, you will see how much power it makes before and after tuning. Also, the car either makes the power it should and runs right or it doesn't. If the dyno tuner is good, he will work on it until its right. Idle tuning is very tricky to do and is the most sensitive to slight air flow tuning changes.

When you put it on the dyno, the air/fuel ratio is should be monitored as well as full scan including logging knock retard. On a dyno, you will know right away if the car is making the horsepower and torque it should with the mods. If it is a significantly less, then you have to start doing basic diagnosis and look for a reason why. That may be vacuum leaks, bad plugs, exhaust leaks, bad O2 sensor, ignition wires, improperly routed PCV systems, etc. You would be surprised how many vehicles have serious mechanical issues that only come to light during dyno tuning.

A dyno tune from a respected tuner is well worth the cost and piece of mind.
Completely agree, many people claim a mail order tune is perfectly fine, and granted, they can be good, but they can never be as good as a custom in person dyno/street tune by a good tuner. Even with data logging, there are situations and things a tuner can do to the car to get the right readings which a normal customer cannot do.
Spend the little extra money and get it done right

- Jeremy
Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a dyno tune is the way too go if you have full bolt ons etc,i wud spend the extra money!!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Very well put...

Quick Reply: Dyno vs Mail order tune