Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Duty stations with good car scenes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Duty stations with good car scenes?

Just wondering where you guys have been that have a decent car scene and or tracks near by? Pretty much all of my free time revolves around my car, so if I do choose my next duty station I want to be able to enjoy it. I'm mainly interested in hearing about Army posts, but if anyone from any branch wants to share feel free.

I've only been permanent party here at Fort Leonard Wood. There is a very very small car scene here, but there is a track 90 miles west and we also have a local drag racing forum that is pretty good.

Also feel free to share places with a crappy scene, that will help check more off of the list. Maybe this thread will eventually be helpful to others when PCS'ing.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

here in marine corp base camp lejeune, nc. We have a good mix of cars. rwhp.us guys have a lot of fast gm cars... WOTmustang club... name speaks for it self but a few low 10 sec dd 03 cobras ... And there's even a import scene. I'm yet to see any import (that's a dd)taillights when my car was stock though. Majestic has an 1500 whp supra and east coast has an 1008 fwhp civic but neither of those are not street legal so they don't count in my book Drag strip is about 8 miles away from my house or google bird miles 2.3 miles so I hear some of the top fuel on drag nights... damn sweet ask me
Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

anywhere in the south.. tx, ga... the weather is nice and you could drive year round
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fort Bragg in Fayetteville for you since your Army
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

FT Campbell's car scene blows. The only track for 2 hours is right near my house, but it's only 1/8th mile. The nearest 1/4 mile is Bowling Green, but that's about 2 hours away. Nashville has no tracks. This area does NO cruise-ins, but you will find big convoys of sport bikes and good lines of cruisers almost every weekend. Folks around here might meet up, but it's in ones and twos, not as a gathering. Even the ricers are pretty quiet here. Add to Clarksville, TN and Oak Grove, KY and Hopkinsville, KY all being small and boring and you have a whole lot of nothing to do for car guys.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ricks4genshianne
FT Campbell's car scene blows. The only track for 2 hours is right near my house, but it's only 1/8th mile. The nearest 1/4 mile is Bowling Green, but that's about 2 hours away. Nashville has no tracks. This area does NO cruise-ins, but you will find big convoys of sport bikes and good lines of cruisers almost every weekend. Folks around here might meet up, but it's in ones and twos, not as a gathering. Even the ricers are pretty quiet here. Add to Clarksville, TN and Oak Grove, KY and Hopkinsville, KY all being small and boring and you have a whole lot of nothing to do for car guys.
Dang that sucks about Campbell, I was actually considering there since it's the 2nd place closest to home besides FLW. I hit my 2 years of being here mark in November and I'd actually like to stay for a couple of more at least, anyone know if it's possible to ask branch to slot you into the same post? FLW isn't exactly a place everyone wants to go to, I'd think they'd love to have people volunteer to stay.

My bro works at HRC, but he leaves next month so there goes any connections I have.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Email branch and see what they gotta say. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hands Down FT Hood TX, the car scene out here is huge locally especially with the ls crowds.

travel a little farther to austin or dallas and find even more.

we have huge weekly meets and then cars and coffee on saturdays
Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

82 where does everyone meet up in hood? i should be getting there in march....
Old 01-16-2012, 03:48 AM
On The Tree

I would say anywhere in Florida or maybe the east coast south Delaware/D.C. and southward. I really enjoyed Ocean City, MD biggest cruise in, every May i been to in my life.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Camp Lejeune / Ft Brag area ... about a dozen race tracks with in 2 hours !!!

A little back woods Mexican racing goes on as well in many parts of the rual south
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ricks4genshianne
I found the car scene in TN awesome. my dad would drive around in his camaro and almost every time he left the house he would get in a race. the track, although only an 1/8th is still fun with a good bunch of guys out there. Im not sure if its still going but there was a huge group of muscle cars that met up at the jiffy lube on ft.campbell blvd. every weekend. just up the road there was the rice group. plenty of nice cars. Id go back there for the car scene if i wasnt af
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stangkillin
I found the car scene in TN awesome. my dad would drive around in his camaro and almost every time he left the house he would get in a race. the track, although only an 1/8th is still fun with a good bunch of guys out there. Im not sure if its still going but there was a huge group of muscle cars that met up at the jiffy lube on ft.campbell blvd. every weekend. just up the road there was the rice group. plenty of nice cars. Id go back there for the car scene if i wasnt af
The only races I get into is when these b!7ch a$$ drivers that are incredibly afraid of the happy pedal get into my way or are lined up with me at places like Trenton and 101 PKWY. A boy's gotta get around the slow folks some kind of way...double when the lane ends in less than 1/4 mile. If there's a car scene, it's in the summer time only and not at all avid. What times do you remember folks meeting up?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Teching In

well this was id say 5 years ago. i believe it was after the track closed. sometimes before it opened. there would be days we got bored and just drive up and down ft campbell blvd just to get in races
Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry for the late input but a few places I've been. I can say that Fort Gordon, GA was great, close to atlanta and close to Fort Jackson. A close track for the 1/4 and a second one was being built, adn then 3 more in the atlanta area. Fort Sill wasn't bad for the car crowd, was pretty busy, but OKC was about 1 hour north and dallas two hours south. Fort Lee, VA not the nicest but it works, its close to DC and virginia beach. I don't know about others though, since the only other places i've seen are overseas.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Fort Sill is not too bad, we got a 1/8 mile in town, 2 1/4 mile tracks an hour and a half away
plus the road course in OKC and all the ricer kids u can kill
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

I miss sill, I was there...8 or 9 years ago...damned I'm old. I remember my buddy houston and I running up and down the road in downtown and running cars out past walmart and by the airport.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:21 AM
TECH Regular

im trying to go to leonard wood.... u say it sucks that bad huh?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blubaldmontess
I miss sill, I was there...8 or 9 years ago...damned I'm old. I remember my buddy houston and I running up and down the road in downtown and running cars out past walmart and by the airport.
Yup the ricer kids still buzz walmart on sheridan every fri/sat lol
Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bones_c
im trying to go to leonard wood.... u say it sucks that bad huh?
The local street scene sucks, but we run a king of the street tournament from April-October at the track which is like 90 miles away, it's a lot of fun. There are some fast cars in the area but nobody really meets up away from the track.

I like Leonard Wood because it's close to home, but there is absolutely nothing to do here unless you enjoy hunting/fishing.

Quick Reply: Duty stations with good car scenes?