PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying tuning software used, what should i look for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying tuning software used, what should i look for?

there is a guy selling this locally:
Late model HP TUNERS for sale, tunes gm, ford, and mopar, and comes with 2 credits which is what you need to tap into your computer, I already used it to tune my Ls1 powered gm and now I want to sell it, I paid over $600 new!

hes asking $250 for it, i have never used tuning software before but i know that ill be using HP tuners since i have a friend with alot of experience with it.

what should i look for, is there a minimum requierment on what version it should be? what should it come with? how does it work on the HP tuners site if i buy this used example login info, support etc.

if its not worth it then ill just buy it new. just want to see if i can save some money. let me know thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 07:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Be sure he gives you the user login ID / password he
has for support / download pages. If possible verify
that it works properly, it's electronics after all - like
plug it in and scan briefly at least.

There is no longer support for the serial hardware but
if he says gm/ford/chrysler then it ought to be the
MPVI version that is USB. But be sure about that.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Launching!

i just talked to the guy and he says he has the login info, but he doesent have the software. he says that with the login i can just download the software again and use it. is this true?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VerdeZ28
i just talked to the guy and he says he has the login info, but he doesent have the software. he says that with the login i can just download the software again and use it. is this true?
Software is no problem to get. Curious that he doesn't have it for you though. Make sure that you have the interface serial number in addition to the password.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also would suggest that he shows you that the login is indeed working.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Launching!

he says he has the interface serial number. so basically if the login works then im good to go? this would be a hell of a deal if this is the case. he also said he has all the hardware. what should the hardware consist of?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 2 credits are worth $100 so you are paying $150 for the used cable. A new Std cable is $500, comes with 8 credits or $400 worth, so you are paying $100 for a new std cable. A new Pro cable is $650, comes with 8 credits or $400 worth so you are paying $250 for a new Pro cable. HP Tuners was charging around $10 for shipping, may be a little more now. If the used cable you are buying is the Pro version you are saving about $100 over buying it new. If it is the Std version you are paying $50 more than buying it new. Just make sure you know what you are buying and that all the cables are in good shape. If the Pro, make sure it comes with the plug on the side. Those are all things that will cost you more if you need to replace them.