Sponsored by:

Thermostat Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Question

Question.

What does the thermostat do and why do I need one?

I know this sounds like a totally dumba&& question, but seriously.

It seems to me that it's only real use is to cause the motor to get to operating temperature faster.

Of course, looking at it, it may also cause to stabilize the engine operating temperature at whatever value the t-stat operates at - say 190 degrees.

So I guess the real question is this. Are there any issues with running an LS engine at temperatures less than the the t-stat operating temp?

Just to clarify; I live in Texas so outside air temps don't ever get truly cold. And it's a weekend car, so if it does, then the car will just stay in the garage.

H
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Depending on the size and efficiency of your radiator, the engine will NEVER reach operating temp without a t-stat. T-stat gets the engine to temp and keeps it there by regulating coolant flow continuously. Without the t-stat your temps will run very low if you are on the highway or if the cooling fan runs too long. Engines are made to run at a set operating temp for optimum performance and efficiency...keep your t-stat, you need it.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two reason, one as noted above, but also, it acts as a restrictor.. Without it, the flow rate of the coolant is very fast as the RPM of the engine/water pump increases. So fast that the heat may not be absorbed by the Coolant and the engine can overheat !. By slowing down the flow rate, the heat will be absorbed and carried to and cooled by the radiator and then returned to the engine at a lower temp.

Some have removed and just used a washer like restrictor in place of the T-Stat.

IMO, As far as temperature , I would be better to tune the engine at a stable temp range that is optimum for performance to produce HP/TQ (I like an engine in the 180-195 range).

BC
Old 01-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Teching In

OK. Thanks. The issue, of course, is that it's a conversion. I'm using an electric water pump, so flow rate is constant. And, I'll need to use an inline t-stat housing. So that means, then, that I either need to drill a bypass hole in my t-stat or devise a smaller capacity bypass that allows some but not all water to flow past the t-stat to keep it circulating.

Does that sound right? And, if it does, is there any advantage to one way or the other? e.g., drilling the hole or plumb 3/8" bypass line.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
Two reason, one as noted above, but also, it acts as a restrictor.. Without it, the flow rate of the coolant is very fast as the RPM of the engine/water pump increases. So fast that the heat may not be absorbed by the Coolant and the engine can overheat !. By slowing down the flow rate, the heat will be absorbed and carried to and cooled by the radiator and then returned to the engine at a lower temp.
Not to call anyone out, just trying to start a discussion, but I have heard people say this through the years and I don't believe it is true. There really is no such thing as "flowing too fast to absorb heat". Yeah, the heat absorbed by the water flowing through the engine each pass may be less (the whole laminar vs. turbulent flow aside), but the coolant will make more passes in any given time thereby increasing the overall cooling capacity.

Now maybe the Tstat is needed as a restrictor to increase pressure in the water pump to keep it from cavitating. But that would cause a drop in cooling by slowing the flow of coolant.

To the OP: LS motors can be made to make more power the cooler you run them. But do it with a lower opening temp T stat instead of running open loop. I'm not sure what the computer would do to you if it sees temps that are too low.

Quick Reply: Thermostat Question