got a question for the guys that have parted out an fbody.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default got a question for the guys that have parted out an fbody.

I haven't parted out an fbody car in a long time, close to 8 years. I'm just trying to get a good estimate on how much one could possibly get back from parting out a 80k 99 ws6 a4 with salvage title but has been repaired. I am keeping the ls1/a4 swap so mainly the body interior etc... I only have about $6000 in the car and that was about 8 years ago. So just some low & high estimates would work or your real world experience from parting a car lately would work. Also I hope its OK to post this in this forum.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also no pm's about parts as I'm not parting it out or not yet... so please no pm's about this car.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really depends on how clean the interior and exterior body panels are.

I would think around 2k depending on how clean everything is. The hood is worth $600.00/$800.00
Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard the brake system alone in a 98+ v6/v8 car goes in the mid 200s, rearend with a posi like yours would have would be 300-500 range, good full interior 300+ fenders 50-100 each depending on the condition

most of your money would be in the powertrain but if you're keeping that that's a good 2-3k chunk out of your profit. (but that's why we part cars right? to get the parts we need and reduce the amount we have to pay out of pocket at the end of the day.)

body scrap weight alone should go anywhere from 150-400, since you have a salvage title that hurts resale a little of the body as a roller or anything.

every car is a little bit different, as chad mentioned you have a valuable hood, popup head lights and whatnot that are a bit more valuable than the camaro front clip assembly simply for the fact that those things wear out or get damaged easily in a collision.

I don't think you can get $6k out of it without a powertrain no matter how clean it is, but I don't think chad's estimate of $2k is far off base if everything's in good condition.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I was thinking between 2-3k but that may also be waiting to sell it all by sitting on it. It does take time selling stuff & it's not easy or fun when u have a full time job. Well ls1 kits are going for around 2,5-3k + or - so its about right. I didn't think I could get $6k parting it out but wanted to see what I'd have in the drivetrain after all was said n done. I may be better off buying a complete ls1 swap if that's the road I may want to go in.another swap.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Yeah I was thinking between 2-3k but that may also be waiting to sell it all by sitting on it. It does take time selling stuff & it's not easy or fun when u have a full time job. Well ls1 kits are going for around 2,5-3k + or - so its about right. I didn't think I could get $6k parting it out but wanted to see what I'd have in the drivetrain after all was said n done. I may be better off buying a complete ls1 swap if that's the road I may want to go in.another swap.
If you can get 6-7k for the car then that may be your best bet. sell it and find a pull out for around 2k-2500.00

I do not see why you could not get 2-3k on parting it out. I did not think about the headlight and tail lights, thats another $500.00 mimium there...
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, if you can get 6-7k for the car as is, you can get cheaper pullouts.

also, does it HAVE to be an "ls1?" cos.. you can get a real easy 400whp out of a pull out 6.0, and you can still mate a t56 to one if you really want to.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I realistically don't see someone buying a car for 6k with a salvage title. Even if it has been fixed. Only way I see that is if you find someone on Craigslist. You might be able to get 4-5k with that title. Just my opinion though. I have parted a total of 6 f-body cars. Made around 3k with me keeping the drivetrain. Cars had a few mods too. Also, it's a pain and a clutter to have in your garage. But, with our new shop it has given me my garage and backyard back!!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know the feeling of having a back yard or garage full of parts. Ive done my share of pulling cars apart after i bought them from an auction. No it doesnt have to be an ls1 as i have a 6.0 & 5.3 setup for my swap. I just have too many vehicles and as soon as i finish my swap i am sure the ws6 will get parked or neglacted like a trick does. It was just a thought of pulling the drivetrain to put in my nova. Looks like it will stay together.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea man.. I hate to pull em apart when they're complete. I got a 98 v6 in my back yard. The motor has some problems but it starts up and can TECHNICALLY drive on it's own power. I move it every now and then. I bought it for parts, but now I kinda hate to do it.

if I had my way I'd own a junkyard and would work on cars all the time.

I think to someone who plans to drive the car, that knows it's been fixed right, a salvage title doesn't mean much. I bought my 00 Z without even looking at the carfax, wasn't all that concerned really as I wasn't planning to flip it or anything, I wanted a project. (and boy did I get one.. )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got a question for the guys that have parted out an fbody.