Need Help? Whats causing me to burn oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help? Whats causing me to burn oil?

My 2001 SS has 114k miles on it and when I drive about 3k miles my oil light will come on and say it is low. Also when you remove the oil cap it smells like fuel. My only guess would be the RINGS? I have a fairly big cam in the car and the problem seems to have just come on recently. I have been running Amsoil since I have owned it. Also I hear piston slap pretty bad for about 5 minutes until it warms up and it has developed a whistling noise when you hit the accelerator, I am honestly not the most engine savvy guy but am still trying to learn what I can as much as possible but we all have to start somewhere I guess. This site has always helped me with insight and questions before and if this issue has been covered before I apologise for not knowing where to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to the top!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Mine burns oil as well (02 ss with 116k) and I had it in the shop. I was told it was because of the inherantly (sp?) shitty PCV system on the LS1's. It can be fixed by converting to the LS6 PCV system or installing a catch can setup. However if you are hearing piston slap id imagine the engine is getting on in years and it might be time to plan for a replacement.