Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Plymouth ls swap, what are my options for a gas tank?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 69 Plymouth ls swap, what are my options for a gas tank?

Good evening folks,

I've gotten to the point in my build where I'm contemplating what I should do for a gas tank. Originally I wanted to go with a custom efi fuel tank but after quickly realizing that they are EXPENSIVE I've decided to look for alternatives.

My question is: since I will be using a corvette regulator/filter combo could I go with a 98-02 f-body gas tank and just have my fabricator build mounts for it to attach to the 69 plymouth body?

I was also thinking of a stock reproduction 69 plymouth fuel tank with an external surge tank. Since the reproduction tank will not be baffled and I wouldn't want starvation issues. Could this work?

If you guys have any comments on my ideas or any other economical ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Marvin
Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using the stock tank in my Chevelle. It has a sump welded in and an external electric pump to feed the carb. When I switch to LS power gonna use Aeromotive A100 pump in place of the Holley Black pump.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
I am using the stock tank in my Chevelle. It has a sump welded in and an external electric pump to feed the carb. When I switch to LS power gonna use Aeromotive A100 pump in place of the Holley Black pump.
Thanks for the idea. I thought of using a fuel cell that came with the car (also has a welded sump) but I thought I would run into starvation issues with the cell anything less than full (because of no baffles). Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the stock tank with sump welded on, you only cut 3 or 4 holes with a 1 inch hole saw in the bottom of the tank... That makes a baffle in its design.

Last edited by 99VetteFRC; 01-12-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a current pic of my tank with the filter. My pump is mounted to the back side of the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails 69 Plymouth ls swap, what are my options for a gas tank?-454.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Hey LS1Ace, here is some tech.

You can a new tank with an in-take pump setup for the Valiant from Rock Valley.
Pricey, but it will fit perfectly. You can also purchase a DIY kit from them if you want to weld it together locally.
- Just call them, as their website doesn't list all that they carry.

Tanks Inc. has a nice DIY pump kit that you could have a shop weld into your stock tank also: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...=cat/cat61.htm

Some helpful links on the topic:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...Number=6930817

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...Number=6814508

http://www.thedetailzone.com/Tanks%2...%20Install.htm

http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/sh...lbro#post55617

Here is a link to S&P performance where they install a 6.1 hemi into a 1966 Belvedere.
S&P used 99-up LSx corvette fuel system parts for the install. (Filter regulator, ect.) This makes it easy to source parts to perform the swap.

Another link to the same pics: http://spankysrodshop.net/index.php?...d=15&showall=1

Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

99VetteFRC, thanks for the picture and suggestion. The setup you have on your chevelle is very similar to the setup that I currently have, only I'm using a fuel cell. I was hoping to use an intank pump, looks like rock valley will be the ticket.

Topbrent, sent you a pm.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using a 90 impala tank in my car. I needed to change fuel pump, but it was a fairly simple swap.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

How dare you install and LS in a mopar! What type? B-body Satelite Road Runner Clone? Pics please!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Launching!

I am one of the Mopar LSx heretics also.

I am installing a carbed LS3 in my 1966 Coronet 2dr Sedan. One of these days I will start a conversion thread on it.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by topbrent
I am one of the Mopar LSx heretics also.

I am installing a carbed LS3 in my 1966 Coronet 2dr Sedan. One of these days I will start a conversion thread on it.
Almost put one in a 68 Charger. Because of the cost of the build and resale, we decided to use a late model hemi. Can't wait to see your build thread.

Ace, If you post pics, I promise not to forward them to moparts, thereby reducing the risk of life threats. I just haven't seen one on here yet.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leon phelps
I am using a 90 impala tank in my car. I needed to change fuel pump, but it was a fairly simple swap.
I think I'm going to end up going with a f-body gas tank. I found one at a steal of a price. Even after fabrication cost to the plymouth in order to properly mount the tank, I will be way under cost of a reproduction tank with in tank fuel pump. So we will see how it goes...if it wont work then I guess I will have to end up going the reproduction with intank option. Thanks for the suggestion leon phelps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 Plymouth ls swap, what are my options for a gas tank?