Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Various LS7 intakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Various LS7 intakes

Ok im ditching my fast 102 intake as the ports dont match the heads and i want you guys to help out with the deciding on a new intake and or ideas etc.

I want them to all be under hood type intakes.

I'm going to start the thread off with different types of ls7 intakes.

CFE Racing.com

Harrop.com.au - not yet released.

Ozmo engineering

Ozmo engineering

wilson manifolds.com

wilson manifolds.com

Last edited by O.N.; 01-17-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

The fix:
Harrop is about to or just has released it's new 58mm ITB set up which is a striaight bolt up to my heads.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That last Harrop is the ****.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
That last Harrop is the ****.
yep im calling them on monday and putting in my order for it for the ls7 heads im running.
i know someone who just got this for tfs235's so im pretty sure the ls7 style is out now too.

here is the one my friend got for the tfs235's

Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know where my vote is . Might want to resize those Kinsler pics....

You left out Marcella too!

Jury is still out on Ozmo but I think its cool. There's a C6 on camaro5, of all places, where they are plugging one of these in place of a FAST.

Last edited by LPE 403; 01-14-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Launching!

How much are these intakes? One thing that turned me off from those big sheet metal intakes was a test they did with a carb setup a fast unit and a Wilson unit and the Wilson was the worste one because they didn't wind the engine up high enough to really use the full potential of the wilson. If I was gonna drop big money on a intake I would go ITB. 3200 for a intake that makes 20-30 more whp is not worth it thouh. I would sooner get Mamo to port match my manifold and spend the money I save on new CNC'd heads and make more power.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

You're right on the mark for price with the sheet metal - referencing Marcella's pricing about $3500-$3800. ITB? Depends....Jenvey, Harrop, or Kinsler? Kinsler is double that price. Not sure where Jenvey and Harrop are.

New OXMO stuff is in the 4K ballpark.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

bought the harrop yesterday for $4950 AUS delivery should be monday.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Holly **** lol. That's half of what my LSX 454 cost for a intake manifold. That's just nuts. How much power would it need to make for you to feel satisfied with your purchase?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by O.N.
The last one posted with 58mm tbs?

Do you plan to run boxes like the pictures? If so can you do a dyno with and without the boxes?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
The last one posted with 58mm tbs?

Do you plan to run boxes like the pictures? If so can you do a dyno with and without the boxes?
Yeah the one from harrop with 58mm itb, but not with boxes to begin with i'll have to fab some up.
Just found this video too of an LS7 from thompson automotive.

there is no specs on if any other mods have been done to the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYO6T...layer_embedded

Last edited by O.N.; 01-17-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slippi84
Holly **** lol. That's half of what my LSX 454 cost for a intake manifold. That's just nuts. How much power would it need to make for you to feel satisfied with your purchase?
It's not about that it's the fact that i was dumb enough to buy into the FAST 102 bullshit and their manifold is a piece of **** that doesn't line up correctly.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Thats actually not bad compared to some others

The issue is how much is a FAST or single plane are holding you back? Hard to justify for sure. After Shawn's time with the Kinsler on my build, even he was amazed in the air this thing inhales.....hence, cam #3 in the works Obviously cubes and these heads help but this type of intake ALLOWS them to breath.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

LPE what size tbs are on your kinsler?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Launching!

Why not spend the money to have Tony mamo port match and port your FAST if you were trying to get it to line up and breath a little better. Like I love ITB setups I had one on my old talon but even at a whopping 40whp the money spent to get one of these bad boys seems like it could be more wisely spent on other things to make power. Cool factor on a car you want to show off these things are worth every penny but as far as function goes way overpriced for what they do. The kinsler being CF and having all the other intricate parts I could see cause CF **** is always expensive but $5k for basically a well built sheet metal intake with 8 tb's is crazy.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Why not spend the money to have Tony mamo port match and port your FAST if you were trying to get it to line up and breath a little better. Like I love ITB setups I had one on my old talon but even at a whopping 40whp the money spent to get one of these bad boys seems like it could be more wisely spent on other things to make power. Cool factor on a car you want to show off these things are worth every penny but as far as function goes way overpriced for what they do. The kinsler being CF and having all the other intricate parts I could see cause CF **** is always expensive but $5k for basically a well built sheet metal intake with 8 tb's is crazy.
I understand what you are saying but the issue with the FAST is it's a piece of ****, no other words describe how much i now hate FAST. The manifold doesn't line up with stock LS7 ports it wont and never will tony can port them till the cows come home the thing is never going to line up, i ported it all the way to the gasket on the top of the port and it still doesn't line up, and this is on a bench securley bolted to an LS7 head.

Add to this that i can also see 8-10mm of the actual head on the bottom of the port.

Attached is a picture i have drawn for you to see, the red line is where the fast manifold port sits so as you can see at the bottom of the port i can see the head and at the top of the port if you shove your finger inside you have to feel upwards to find the roof of the head port.

This is exactly how it is, if you need an actual picture i'll bolt the fast manifold back onto my bare head and take a picture its exactly like this.

As said in this thread or another i thought maybe i had a bowed bottom shell so i went to the trouble of ordering a brand new lower FAST 102 shell and both the new and the old bolt up to the head ports in this fashion, basically the thing is holding the engine back a hell of alot when the ports are missaligned like this. And as said before anyone out there with a FAST manifold pull it off the car unbolt the runners and just bolt on the lower shell and see how "great" it lines up with yoru ports, cause 2 lower shells of mine both FAST 102 ls7 style do not line up for **** no matter how much you port it, it will not ever line up, you cannot port it past the gaskets.

As for money spent better on other things do you know of many cars with LS7 heads putting down 620rwhp N/A?
This fast "problem" is like a wrattling screw in your glove box that keeps wrattling around making noise, it basically annoys the **** out of you until you pull over open the glove box and throw it out the window. Thats my problem with the fast, i will happily donate the thing to anyone who wants it for free, or to the trash bin if no one wants it.
Attached Thumbnails Various LS7 intakes-ls7head.jpg  

Last edited by O.N.; 01-18-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I understand what you are saying but the issue with the FAST is it's a piece of ****, no other words describe how much i now hate FAST. The manifold doesn't line up with stock LS7 ports it wont and never will tony can port them till the cows come home the thing is never going to line up, i ported it all the way to the gasket on the top of the port and it still doesn't line up, and this is on a bench securley bolted to an LS7 head.

Add to this that i can also see 8-10mm of the actual head on the bottom of the port.

Attached is a picture i have drawn for you to see, the red line is where the fast manifold port sits so as you can see at the bottom of the port i can see the head and at the top of the port if you shove your finger inside you have to feel upwards to find the roof of the head port.

This is exactly how it is, if you need an actual picture i'll bolt the fast manifold back onto my bare head and take a picture its exactly like this.

As said in this thread or another i thought maybe i had a bowed bottom shell so i went to the trouble of ordering a brand new lower FAST 102 shell and both the new and the old bolt up to the head ports in this fashion, basically the thing is holding the engine back a hell of alot when the ports are missaligned like this. And as said before anyone out there with a FAST manifold pull it off the car unbolt the runners and just bolt on the lower shell and see how "great" it lines up with yoru ports, cause 2 lower shells of mine both FAST 102 ls7 style do not line up for **** no matter how much you port it, it will not ever line up, you cannot port it past the gaskets.

As for money spent better on other things do you know of many cars with LS7 heads putting down 620rwhp N/A?
This fast "problem" is like a wrattling screw in your glove box that keeps wrattling around making noise, it basically annoys the **** out of you until you pull over open the glove box and throw it out the window. Thats my problem with the fast, i will happily donate the thing to anyone who wants it for free, or to the trash bin if no one wants it.
I have a fast 102 ported by Mamo in an F-body at over 600 to the wheels and this has gotten me interested? I wonder if Tony knows about this or anyone else for that matter, and is this really a issue on these things?? Looks like it could be a huge problem from what your saying! Maybe Tony will chime in here.......

Last edited by ramairws6; 01-18-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ramairws6
I have a fast 102 ported by Mamo in an F-body at over 600 to the wheels and this has gotten me interested? I wonder if Tony knows about this or anyone else for that matter, and is this really a issue on these things?? Looks like it could be a huge problem from what your saying!
Like i said i thought i had a bowed bottom shell when i first saw the "problem" so i went to the trouble of buying a whole brand new lower shell from summit racing in the USA shipped all the way to Australia in a box well packed and it had no bow in it and looked identical to the original shell i had that was on the fully essembled fast manifold.

The ports do not align they will not ever align and no matter how much you port the thing it is never going to align unless you 1 remove more material from the head port and then add more material at the top of the head port, basically changing the whole velocity of the heads.

The picture i have posted is exactly how both my lower shells line up to the manifold.

You know how long it takes to pull the manifold off, grab some torx heads or allen keys and unbolt it take a photo post it up here and guaranted it looks as **** as i have said it is.

I was all "PRO" fast manifolds when i started my build, hell look it does make power you are making power im making power but the question is how much low end how much top end how much torque are we missing out on with this very poor design.......THE BLOODY PORTS DONT MATCH thats rule number 1 when building a manifold make the ports line up or as close as possible.

Last edited by O.N.; 01-18-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alrighty i have the specs on the thompson automotive engine dyno, just got off the phone to brian, love his work.

100% stock LS7 heads with only a cam 248/256 115LSA 569/571 lift

engine made 620HP with the standard LS7 manifold
then bolted the harrop ITB up and made 670HP

Using bosch 60lbs injectors long length injectors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYO6T...layer_embedded
Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Yeah not lining up is a huge problem but I feel like with mass production there bound to be parts that are machined wrong or something just not right. I know this is gonna sound crazy but after hearing about the excessive cases of core shift and poor quality with the LSX blocks if you have the GMPP LSX ls7 heads still maybe it's the heads that are machined wrong. Not likely I agree but def possible. I was always a firm believer of if it aint broke. I reember I didn't even believe you were making as uch whp as you were when you first posted your dyno graph so you were def doing good man. I mean hell its your car your oney if you got it go for it Im not saying you wasted money but going for big power I would have looked into like MAST heads or something like that first before a intake manifold with the money spent.

Quick Reply: Various LS7 intakes