Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guy gave me a SLP MAF for free should I run it????????

Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guy gave me a SLP MAF for free should I run it????????

Hey everyone,

I went to a guys house to buy a cold air kit for my 2000 WS6 when I got there he had sold his camaro.

He had a few parts laying around and one was an 85mm SLP Mass air flow, that he just basically threw in for free. I know everyone says its a waste of money but for free should I run it, will i expect a few HP over the stock one or will the problems not be worth it?????

Also it looks like he doctored it a little bit shaving off some of the plastic on the back side with a dremel or something. His reasoning was to improve air flow, I am not so sure about this idea.

My car has basic bolt ons such as a mail order tune from frost, long tubes, true duals with X pipe, and a SLP cold air induction kit. Also my car is a 6 speed with LS7 clutch kit.

What is your recommendation
Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do.. you will need a retune
Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does the maf still have the screen? You'll need a pigtail connector to make it work with your setup. As far as gains are concerned, you don't stand to gain much of anything right away with the MAF swap. If you eventually add an LS6/Fast Intake and larger lid, it's probably worth the time and expense of the pigtail imo.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Does the maf still have the screen? You'll need a pigtail connector to make it work with your setup. As far as gains are concerned, you don't stand to gain much of anything right away with the MAF swap. If you eventually add an LS6/Fast Intake and larger lid, it's probably worth the time and expense of the pigtail imo.
The screen is already removed, I already have an SLP lid if that the larger lid you are referring to. What exactly are you talking about a pigtail connection it already has the plug in connection, and the camaro it came off of is the same year as mine.

I thought they were just plug and play?

Thanks for the response everyone
Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sell it
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Cool

Originally Posted by ws6ick2k
hey everyone,

i went to a guys house to buy a cold air kit for my 2000 ws6 when i got there he had sold his camaro.

He had a few parts laying around and one was an 85mm slp mass air flow, that he just basically threw in for free. I know everyone says its a waste of money but for free should i run it, will i expect a few hp over the stock one or will the problems not be worth it?????

Also it looks like he doctored it a little bit shaving off some of the plastic on the back side with a dremel or something. His reasoning was to improve air flow, i am not so sure about this idea.

My car has basic bolt ons such as a mail order tune from frost, long tubes, true duals with x pipe, and a slp cold air induction kit. Also my car is a 6 speed with ls7 clutch kit.

What is your recommendation
selllllllllllllllllllll ittttttttttttttttttttttt
Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To make that 85mm MAF work for you you need a 3 pin to 5 pin sensor adapter, your stock MAF harness is a standard 3 pin and add to the fact you need to change your stock MAF table to 85mm MAF table. Finally get the resistor taken out of the SLP maf so it doesn't screw up a real tune you'll have down the road. SLP placed a resistor to trick the sensor to run a lean mixture from the stock tune of 11:5 AFR.

Your SLP lid has a stock outlet size so you'll want something like 98mm FTP lid or 103mm FTP lid to benefit from that 85mm MAF.

Oh and you want to upgrade to LS6 intake/bigger lid/ or FAST intake if you want to keep this 85 mm MAF because without it, it's just dumb.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Sell it...
Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have one but im /h/c/i AND MY SCREEN IS INTACT.

i wouldnt get involved with installing it.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Sell it!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the replies, I was not aware these things were such a hassle for so little gains. I am planning on selling it but before I do is this shaving/sanding on the back plastic piece going to hurt it in any way?, and does this guys theory make any sense to do such a thing?

Again his reasoning was to Improve air flow so on the back plastic piece is shaved down ???

Last edited by WS6ICK2k; 01-17-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guy gave me a SLP MAF for free should I run it????????