Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX 70 Camaro Split Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX 70 Camaro Split Bumper

I just pickedup a 70 Camaro minus motor and tranny. I'm looking to picku either a LQ4 or an LQ9 both are one year difference and both are around 40K miles coplete. The price difference is within a few hundred dollars.

Also will go with a T56 and the setup will be an NA.

1. Which motor would you choose and why?

2. I paln on replacing the intake to a LS3 intake. Would this cause a problem with the truck accessories? Will the truck intake clearn the stock hood on the car?

3. I've seen that LS6 intakes also work. Which one would you suggest?

4. What Cam combo do you suggest with either the LQ4 or LQ9?

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Get the lq9 as long as both are in great condition! It has more HP potential due to the flat top pistons and higher compression ratio.

Best bet for a cam is to get a custom cam spec'd optimized for your setup.

Bruce
Old 01-13-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. LQ9 as for resaons stated above.

2. No the intake will most likely not clear the hood unless you have a cowl, get a LS3 intake they look much cleaner anyways and they can be bought for cheap.

3. Yes the LS6 intake will work but only with cathedral heads, the LS3 has to be used with rectangle port heads. I would choose the LS3 intake and ls3 heads if it were me and maybe a little porting done to the heads also.

4. What are your goals, low end or top end, or alittle of both?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Thats great news to hear you purchased an early Camaro!!! Better to hear you are swapping in an LS engine. I recently completed this swap in my 69 Camaro with a T56. I am amazed at the difference between the SBC 327/ 4 speed in comparison to the LQ4/T56. A friend of mine lives in AZ that just completed the swap into his 73 RS. He used an LY6/TH400. You need to check out his car. His name is Gary and his user name is GC99TA. Do a search for him. I am sure he can help out with 2nd gen questions. I can help out a little with the engine.

I would choose the LQ9 over the LQ4 for one reason only and thats compression ratio. The LQ4 is 9.4:1 and the LQ9(if I remember correctly) is 9.8:1. The LQ4 will allow for a bigger cam due to dished pistons but lacks enough compression to fully utilize its potential.

You will not be able to use the LS3 intake as your LQ4/9 heads are cathedral ports and the LS3 has rectangular ports. You can purchase a set of LS3 or L92 heads and then you can use the LS3 intake. Another alternative is to use the LY6 as GAry did and they come with L92 heads. You can buy a set of L92's from GM for around $435 each. You will also need to buy new intake rockers and stands as they are offset to allow for such a big port. You might pay a little more for an LY6 but the end results will be worth it. They usually came in the vans and I am sure other vehicles. If you change the heads and use the LS3 intake you will have to modify the water pump and alternator bracket to use the car intake on the truck accessories. No biggie just more work. I am not sure if the truck intake will fit or not. Do a search on this forum and I am sure its been done.

The LS6 intake would be better than the truck but the accessories and water pump will need some modifications.

Once you decide which engine you are going to use then buy the cam. If you use the LY6 you need a few more parts as it has the phaser for the VVT and such. If you use the LQ4/9 you can buy an off the shelf cam that will produce good numbers without sacrificing driveability. I would stay around 114 LSA or higher if you are going to leave it fuel injected. I am having a 408 stroker built as I didnt do my homework and am now left with an ill idling car. I lack vacuum at idle and it has caused me to have a terrible tune. I have an LQ4/L92 with a 236/242 @ .050" .580"/.590" lift on a 112LSA. It runs like a scalded dog but loads up terribly at idle. I used a reputable tuner and he has had a time trying to resolve my problem. What ever you do, try to research each and every part you buy before you pull the trigger. I spent quite a bit of money that could have been avoided had I done my homework. Best of luck to you and your build!!! One thing, I dont know if you have been on a forum much before but pictures are worth a thousand words!!! If you want help and an audience that is willing to, keep the pictures coming. My thread has the highest replies in the "conversions and hybrids" section and I think its because there are a ton of pics on there. If you are unfamiliar with any functions on here just ask. It would be best to PM me so that you can stay on target with your thread and keep people interested. I tend to be long winded and that can be distractive at times. Check the thread out in my sig and you will see some of the people I trust on here. Futureuser, Bandit, GC99TA, Gmag, BMF150, etc. etc. the list goes on and on. I know Jimbo will read this as he is doing a second gen as well, he is a wise *** but can be helpful at times. LOL Hope you read that JIMBO!!!!

Last edited by tsnow678; 01-13-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Teching In

I appreciate all the feedback and thanks tsnow678 for the deatils. I just checked into thi further an a LS2 from a Corvette or a LS6 will work with those heads. I'm finishing up on a 70 Chevelle LS3/T56 now and need to keep the Camaro build to a budget so the thought of having to swap heads and so on wasn't going to work.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't think the square port heads will work on the ls6 (basically same as ls1) because the bore isn't big enough.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hes talking about the intake ls6 and thebreason is because their two different ports, ie cathedral and rectangle.

Since your budget is limited a ls6 will work, laterbmaybe you can find a FAST 90/92/102.

Quick Reply: LSX 70 Camaro Split Bumper