Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question

I'm looking into getting a 00-02 Z but since i live in northern NJ, and this will be my daily driver. I have to deal with rain and snow. I was planning on getting a nice set of winter tires. But i wanted to know that since i'll be dealing with these conditions if an A4 or M6 would be better suited. I want the M6 but if it comes to not being dead in the winter i will get the A4. So what i'm asking is what is better?
Old 03-17-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way your not going anywhere in the snow. I live in CT, we've had about 5 or 6 pretty big storms this past year...i bought my 99 SS last september, tried to make it through the first winter w/ it, deffinatly didnt work. This past winter i ended up finding a cheap 4x4 to use through the winter. I would find a beater if i were you. Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:35 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car sits under a blanket of snow. It is as we speak too. Just try and get a cheapie beater.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Umm, yeah. These cars suck in the snow. I don't know if it would matter if it was A4 or M6, but I like having the M6 because you can select the gear.
Last night in NY/NJ/CT we had a bit of snow, and I left work and hopped on I-95 from Stamford, CT. There's a long inclined entrance ramp to get on, and everyone was crawling. Well, I made a right onto the entrance ramp, and proceded to climb the ramp at a 45* angle at 5mph. The tail just kept swinging out to the left. So I'm facing right, with the wheels cut all the way to the left. Tried with the traction control on and off. Neither worked. And yes, I know how to drive..lol. Needless to say, it was pretty rough. The people behind me were probably thinking 'What is this jackass trying to do?'
Good thing is we only get a few days a year like that...so I can deal with it.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

I drive the F-Body in all weather in Michigan. If you have the 17 inch rims you will be hard pressed to find a winter tire.
IMO get BF Goodrich KDW for warm weather 275/40 17 and for winter (I got some firebird 16x8) get Blizzaks. Although with my 99' Firebird I had a modest all weather tire (Cooper Cobra) and drove it the last three winters with no spin outs or other.
I know allot of guys in my area store their F-Bodies in the winter (probably to keep them salt free).

Also, regarding the BFG KDW, it snowed yesterday and since I sold my 99 Bird I had to drive the WS6 and those tires have lost all traction in cold weather and snow and ice is very difficult. The tires can make a huge difference in different temperatures and conditions.

Note: I did learned to drive in the winter in a 1970 Grand Prix with a 455 and balding street tires so these F-Bodies are not much different than the 97 Ford Ranger I owned.

Last edited by ActionJack; 03-17-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

My f-body cars have all been autos, but I have driven GTOs and other manual trans cars in snow and prefer them. You just have more options for control with the clutch and using the braking effect of the tranny.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:19 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine's an auto, and I've just about wrapped up my sixth Winter with it. I haven't missed a day of work due to weather even though I have a 38 mile commute. I don't use snow tires either. I've only been stuck twice, and that was because of ice. Once because the sun came out and melted the snow I was parked on enough that the car was stuck. I don't know too many street-worthy vehicles of any type that do well on ice.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a garage, your best bet is to find a winter beater and keep the Camaro in the garage all winter. A LOT of the guys on this forum do that, and it perserves your car. If you don't have a garage, buying a beater wouldn't help because your f-body will still be out in the elements...and if its gonna be out in the elements you mine as well be driving it. A4 or M6 won't matter b/c snow is snow and poor conditions are poor conditions. Buy the M6 though for when it warms up. Ten times more fun.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Launching!

i do not have a garage, and i can't afford 2 cars insurance. so a M6 it will be. Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Even though I chose an A4 the M6 is nice is snow since you can start in 2nd with less torque. IMO
Old 03-18-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy2626c
i do not have a garage, and i can't afford 2 cars insurance. so a M6 it will be. Thanks guys.
Forget 2 car insurrances....when my SS sleeps through the winter i suspend it, fire and theft only...costs me an additional 40 bux for the winter that its suspended....and then on the plus when you register a beater you will probably save money by insuring that instead of a hot rod!
Old 03-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I dont know which would be better for the winter, but I have an A4. I drive my car all year 'round, winter and all. I have a set of Blizzak WS-50 tires on some cheap 16" steel wheels that I got mounted/balanced/shipped from TireRack for under $600. If you cant afford two cars and dont have a garage (like me), then just invest in some good winter tires. After one winter's experince, you'll have no trouble driving an F-body in just about any weather conditions. My car with winter tires handles better in the snow that family sedans with all-season tires. The tires make all the difference. Of course the lower ground clearance is a hinderance, but its not that big an issue.

--VIP1