Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken mounting boss on block

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken mounting boss on block

Hello - This is my first post so be gentle. I thought I'd share a life lesson along with my question.

Lesson: Check out stuff you buy on ebay thoroughly

I bought an LS2 and T56 out of a wrecked GTO off of ebay. I talked to the guy on the phone before sending any money. He seemed honest enough. Received the engine/trans quickly, no problem. Did a quick examination with it on a palette and all looked fine. Unfortunately, life got in the way of my project and it sat in a corner for almost two years. Now I'm starting to prepare it for its new home (in a old Jaguar), and I discover that two of the mounting bosses on the right side of the block are cracked. Grrrr. These are where the engine mount attaches on the side of the block.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of damage? Is it possible to weld/repair something like this?

Thanks.

Trying to attach pics (should be 2 of them) - hope this works
Attached Thumbnails Broken mounting boss on block-mount01.jpg   Broken mounting boss on block-mount02.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks ! Was the mount on there when it was shipped? If so, that would cover it up somewhat.

Check with some machine shops n C what they say about repairing it. At least it's on the side that is not lifted upwards on acceleration .
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the mount was on there when I received the block and it did hide most of the damage. However, if I had looked closely, I would have noticed that the mount was also cracked on the bottom. It wasn't until I got it on an engine stand that I discovered all this.

Interestingly, there's still some good threads left inside those cracked mounting bosses. There's at least 6 or 7 undamaged threads deep in the holes. I'm wondering if I can get away with just a longer bolt in those holes.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd stick a junk bolt in there, have someone TIG in some filler around it, remove the bolt and grind the mounting surface to height. On another note, take a much closer look at the rest of the engine. If it was hit hard enough to bust off those bolt bosses, there may be other damage...

Quick Reply: Broken mounting boss on block