Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noids in series VS: parallel

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noids in series VS: parallel

Anyone run their noids in series (electrical flow, not fluid) rather than parallel? I want to run my N2O noids in series with my fuel noid. That way if any noid failed the circuit would not complete and no noids would open. By failed I mean that the coil shorted or something to that effect to induce an open circuit. I realize that the circuit could still close and the fuel noid fail to spray for whatever reason. I just think this will give me an added level of insurance. The fuel noid requires 1.5 amps and the N2O noids require 8.6 amps. The relay is rated at 30 amps.

Anyone done it this way or see a problem with it such as too much load on one circuit to open all the noids?

TIA
Old 03-17-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that won't work.

first, the noids don't fail electrically, they tend to fail mechanically.

Second, the 2 in series, will only get 6-7 volts, not enough voltage to drive the noid.

Ryan.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow
that won't work.

first, the noids don't fail electrically, they tend to fail mechanically.
Second, the 2 in series, will only get 6-7 volts, not enough voltage to drive the noid.
Ryan.
What about using two relays with the ground side of the fuel noid connected to the low current side of a second relay, closing it and engaging the two N2O noids? Or is this just an excersize in futility? I just want the noids to be as foolproof as possible. I have redundant WOT switches together with a window switch to make the engagement as foolproof as possible.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

your still not going to get the voltage you need on the ground side of the second relay, to trigger the next one.

What i always do is connect both + and - together, solder, and heatshring, so if one get power, they both do. I also only use Nx noids, and don't worry about them failing.

If your really concerned, you might want to run 2 noids, in series, (mechanically) but in parallel electrically

Ryan.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow
your still not going to get the voltage you need on the ground side of the second relay, to trigger the next one.

What i always do is connect both + and - together, solder, and heatshring, so if one get power, they both do. I also only use Nx noids, and don't worry about them failing.

If your really concerned, you might want to run 2 noids, in series, (mechanically) but in parallel electrically

Ryan.
Yes, everything will be soldered and heat shrinked. Was thinking of using a transistor to trigger the second relay. I guess I will mock it up to see if the draw it too much. NOS puts the two N2O noids in parallel (electrically) on their dry kit off one relay. As mentioned, they are 8.6A draw and the fuel noid is only 1.5A draw. I'll see if there is enough current to trip all three on one circuit.

Already have two N2O noids in series (flow) but putting two fuel noids in series would increase the chances of a failure. Putting two fuel noids in parallel (flow) would do it but that's a bit overkill I think.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

i was talking about the n20 noids, as the failure point isee is them sticking open.

the fuel noids, run at lower amps, and lower pressure, so the the failure rates are lower, from what i have seen, just don't run crappy gas, or crappy octane booster/injector cleaner, as it can swell up the seals on the fuel noid, and cause them to fail (minimal chance.. but possible)

The 2 fuel in parallel both mechanically and electrically, would be ideal, for a more failsafe system.

Ryan
Old 03-18-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

your making your system a nightmare to trouble shoot... and very complex to operate. remember the statement KISS.... just run a secondary N20 noid with it wired to a FP hobbs switch if yoru that concerned about a failure... you need to be worried about the N20 noid not the fuel noid... I have been running N20 for 10 years and have yet to have a Noid failure... most failures are caused by faulty connections or improper mounting ( to close to heat ). keep your connections clean and dry, USE the MFG supplied fittings with screens for N20 and fuel inlets and regularly inspec and clean the screens.. remember if ytour not getting the good stuff like some of us the N20 has sulfer in it which is VERY corrosive. using a filter can't hurt as well. but making your system so complex is your call but personally a PITA when it comes to figuring out why something is not workign properly. the last thing you need ot worry about is a noid failure.. engaging to early, wrong gas, or buddies driving it are what you need to worry about... FWIW i ran a system on my 93 camaro that the bottle was on 24x7 that is did for a year and a half with not one issue... this is a BIG no no but i did it and got away with it.. .i do not practice that today because i knwo better... i was going through 3 bottles a week in my hey day!! ( there were a lot of SC'd Mustangs in Dallas back then) as well N20 down there was like a buck a pound with my source... until my heater didn't turn off and i sprayed it with close to 3000 PSI bottle pressure.... boy did it run!!! for about 3 seconds!! the safety things like fuel pressure and N20 gauges where you can see them are what you should worry about and agian accidental operation not noids.... just my .02 good luck!!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx for the input guys. I suppose I am over engineering it a little. Lets say I forego the multiple relays etc. Would it be OK to wire all three noids (2 N2O and one fuel) in parallel on one relay? Figure the relay is rated at 30 AMPS so it should have no problem, just a matter of getting enough current through. NOS' diagram for the dry kit has the 8.6 amp N2O noids in parallel on one relay so what's one more 1.5 amp fuel noid?

BTW: In regards to solenoid maintenance, the kit I got was used so I would like to maybe 'clean' them? Is it OK to take them apart or is this not advisable unless you are going to rebuild them?