Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L Swap into 98 Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L Swap into 98 Sierra

hey im new to this forum, wondering if i can get any help on installing my 5.3. im wondering how the computers work. i have been told i need both computers. um i guess any install info would be greatly appreciated. will a ls1 corvette intake manifold fit on the stock block. please no rude posts im new to this. thank you
Old 01-15-2012, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

If you can find the pinouts for the factory computer in your truck and for the 5.3's computer, then you can set it up where the 5.3 computer will run everything in your truck. You'll just have to swap the wires from the factory computer connector to the connector on the 5.3 computer. I know that's kinda vague, but with some research you'll be able to find the information you need.

You can find the engine mount brackets at various places. I think Summit sells some adapter mounts that will allow an LS series engine to be bolted to traditional SBC engine mounts.

Any of the truck exhaust manifolds/headers will work. The Y-pipes may fit as well... not sure on that one.

As for the LS1 manifold, the truck intake flows better than the LS1 intake and is comparable to an LS6 intake. If I recall correctly, the truck intake could be better than the LS6? Either way, if you swap to a car intake, you'll have to buy an idler pulley relocation kit to move the idler pulley on the truck accessories out of the way because the factory idler sits where the throttle body needs to go.

What are you planning to do for the transmission? Do you have the one from the 5.3 or are you using the factory one from the truck?

What are your plans for the fuel system? You'll need to ensure that your factory pump will produce the adequate amount of pressure for the 5.3.

As you can see, there is a lot involved in an engine swap. You'll just need to make sure that you have all of your bases covered before you start pulling anything. Especially if it's a vehicle that you use regularly. If the truck is your current daily driver, then you'll need to ensure that you have another vehicle available just in case something doesn't go as planned and the swap takes longer than expected.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them up. However, a lot of the information you seek can possibly be found by using the search feature on this forum. If you don't know where that is, it is directly below the LS1Tech banner at the very top of the page.

Let us know what you find out
Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Thank you very much. I have the adaptor plates and I also have the transmission from the 5.3. And the fuel system is adequate for this motor I found out.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Ok, that's good.

For the fuel system, you'll also need to figure out if the 5.3 was running a return style, or a returnless fuel system.

Once you get the wiring and fuel situation figured out you should be good to go on getting started.

For the wiring, I know a company that can make a harness that will be plug and play for you... However, I don't know if they're a sponsor on here or not. I'll PM you the website.

Quick Reply: 5.3L Swap into 98 Sierra