Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pipes rubbing/ suggestions to fix.. Pic inside..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pipes rubbing/ suggestions to fix.. Pic inside..

currently I had exhaust installed on my camaro. Headers new y the whole nine yards..

recently ive been hearing this awful squeeking comming from the right rear..

I had enough so i jacked the car up to find out that the pipe coming off the right side of the muffler is rubbing a piece of the wheel well structure..

Now I have some ideas on how to fix this but i was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to you and what you did..

i can..

1.. Mark where the pipes where they enter the muffler and then come out like a inch or two and cut em and then put the pipes back,, ill have to cut both to make sure they dont look retarted.

2. Mark the sngle pipe where its rubbing then take it off the car and beat it in with a hammer..

3. cut that piece off of the car but I really, really dont want to cut the car..

Now i know i can do either or im just typing this to see if anyone has had this before and what you did????
Old 01-15-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Massage the area on the car with a BFH or a jack with several block of wood under it. All you'll need is 1/8" to 1/4", that should be plenty.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your sound is generated from metal on metal. wrap the pipe in something heat resistant or put something in between the two for the time period untill you find a more permanet solution. honestly i would just wrap the exh pipe in some heat resistant cloth or something and call it a day. or you could take it back where it was all installed and complain that they did shitty work
Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you place a breaker bar or similar between the pipe and the wheelwell, then pry them apart (gently) just enough to make the difference?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you have clamps and it's not welded on. Maybe you can loosen the clamp a little and tweak the pipe down just a hair, that should get you the separation you need without beating it.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sepsis
I see you have clamps and it's not welded on. Maybe you can loosen the clamp a little and tweak the pipe down just a hair, that should get you the separation you need without beating it.
BINGO!
I should have noticed that.