Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Leak...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil Leak...

Quick question...I have an 02 SS with about 98000 miles its hardly been driven hard, if any i would say i did like about 10 passes at the track. As of late i've been leaking oil and i have to put like 3 quarts every 3 to 4 weeks. I would hate to think its the rear main. So before i decide to drop the tranny and get going on the seal, how durable are the seals and could by any chance be anything else...
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear mains have been durable from my experience. I would look at the valve covers beening loose, oil pan bolts loose etc before pulling the tranny.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaks oil..

Originally Posted by ramirop
Quick question...I have an 02 SS with about 98000 miles its hardly been driven hard, if any i would say i did like about 10 passes at the track. As of late i've been leaking oil and i have to put like 3 quarts every 3 to 4 weeks. I would hate to think its the rear main. So before i decide to drop the tranny and get going on the seal, how durable are the seals and could by any chance be anything else...
Don't know if this will help, but...have an '02 that hardly ever gets driven. Went on Power Tour and after, parking at home, a huge puddle of oil underneath. Got some rear seal treatment at AutoZone, ran as directed for two oil changes and the leak is gone completely...they do not like being "not driven"

Good Luck
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
The rear mains have been durable from my experience. I would look at the valve covers beening loose, oil pan bolts loose etc before pulling the tranny.
thanks...just for the sake of argument say i retighten all the bolts, i forgot to mention my car is manual, if the rear main was indeed leaking i would probably have clutch slippage right?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CBAR02SLP
Don't know if this will help, but...have an '02 that hardly ever gets driven. Went on Power Tour and after, parking at home, a huge puddle of oil underneath. Got some rear seal treatment at AutoZone, ran as directed for two oil changes and the leak is gone completely...they do not like being "not driven"

Good Luck
i got that rear main seal additive from autozone followed the instructions, but i didn't have that luck. Still leaks and like i said i have to add 3 to 4 quarts every 3 to 4 weeks
Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramirop
thanks...just for the sake of argument say i retighten all the bolts, i forgot to mention my car is manual, if the rear main was indeed leaking i would probably have clutch slippage right?
I would think so. Have you wiped down the engine and tried to find the oil path. I would do that and start the car and let it idel then try to find it.

Check the oil press. sending unit behind the intake??
Old 01-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
I would think so. Have you wiped down the engine and tried to find the oil path. I would do that and start the car and let it idel then try to find it.

Check the oil press. sending unit behind the intake??
come to think about that, my oil pressure gauge flickers...doesn't stay put, i was wondering if the sensor is giving out...but i will def. take a look at that...

Quick Reply: Oil Leak...