Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust leak...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust leak...

so, i've been trying to get rid of this leak for about two weeks now. it's on the passenger side under the hood for sure. but i can't determine if it's where the header connects to the engine or if it's where the header connects to the cat. i've used three different manifold gaskets and it still leaks. i tighten it down more and it still leaks. i tried a search and saw someone recommend using two gaskets. could this help? is there anything i can spray from underneath the car to visually see where the leak is coming from? is there somewhere else that it may be leaking from, EGR? there's a lot of crap on the passenger side that this could be coming from, but since i just swapped my LT's out for my shorty headers and didn't have the leak before i'm pretty sure the header is the culprit. HELP!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no one? does anyone know if doubling up the gasket would help? or know of any thing i can spray, like an aerosol, that i could use to locate exactly where it's coming from? thanks.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a smoke test done. Do not double up the gaskets
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Try using an automotive stethoscope, remove the probe on the end and just have the open hose. Move the open end around the areas where you think it's leaking and listen while the car is running.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, i'll give the stethoscope a try. my car's registered as non op right now, so i can't really go get a smoke test done or i would.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe the flange is warpped
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

are u still using EGR? ive had a notorious egr leak from the headers that took me a long time to find...u can really locate air leaks that easily, then i said **** it and disabled egr with LS6 intake..
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wait till the motor is completely cooled down, start it up and feel around!!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

I would recommend using the copper gasket spray if you determine it is coming from the header flange.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

The tissue test may help track down where the leak is coming from. I was going to suggest exhaust paste if it's coming from any of the joins in the exhaust. As someone said, I wouldn't double up gaskets, you'll probably introduce more leaks that way.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
are u still using EGR? ive had a notorious egr leak from the headers that took me a long time to find...u can really locate air leaks that easily, then i said **** it and disabled egr with LS6 intake..
yes, still using egr. can't really disable it since i'm doing all this to pass my smog check and get re-registered.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
Maybe the flange is warpped
this is what i'm thinking. i tried the stethoscope but couldn't find anything. i looked at the old copper gaskets that were being used the last time i had these headers on (amazed i still had them) and there is a lot of soot built up on a couple spots outside of where it should have been sealing. maybe the felpro gaskets i'm using now are garbage? or a combination of the flange being warped and crappy gaskets? i reamember a slight leak with the copper gaskets i had on it before about 2 years ago, but not near this bad.

i'll take a picture of the copper gasket i had on before so you can see what i'm taking about...