New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So aggrivated!! Can anyone help me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So aggrivated!! Can anyone help me?

ok i got a lot of problems. But all could be linked to one? i dono.

problem number one: Car has trouble starting. scratching noise. Took it to a place to see if it was my battery or alternator. They said nothing was wrong with those things.

problem two: Once car is warmed up, the battery level goes down. sometimes way below 13(the hotter the engine the lower the battery level).

problem three: Car runs fine while the engine is stilll cold. Once warmed up the idle goes up and down. I have a automatic so when the idle goes up i shift it into neutral and the idle will be somewhere around 2000 rpms. After driving the car will hesitate almost feeling like its going to die sometimes. When accelerating, the car is almost fighting me to do so. it feels like its choking.

Now my check engine light was on so i recently got that fixed. They gave me a new oxygen sensor and a new hose thas goes from the intake to the engine. But car still has these problems. I seriously have no money to get it "looked" at again. If i knew more speciically what the problem might be that would help a lot. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Teching In

sorry i forgot to mention i have a 93 formula auto
Old 03-17-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. For the scratching noise, I would check the starter.

2. I would say borrow a alt meter and see if you are pulling enough to power the battery. Even know you say its fine, that is usually the common cause. There could be a ground wire loose on the starter, or engine block too. Check those. That can put a load on the alt and battery.

3. You have to look at the throttle position sensor... It could also be your Manifold absolute pressure (MAP)..It's square and black on top of the plenum...Another common cause on those cars is the fuel injectors going bad....Hope this helps!

ps. Make sure that tube they replaced is still connected right. Could have a vaccum leak. Do you hear any hissing under the hood?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Belt slipping on the alternator? That would make a scratching noise and could cause the voltage to fluctuate like you said. Just an idea...
Old 03-17-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be your optispark going out.oil or moisture might have gotten inside.have it checked.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
Belt slipping on the alternator? That would make a scratching noise and could cause the voltage to fluctuate like you said. Just an idea...
I was thinking the belt tightness as well.

However, voodoows6 sounds like he knows his stuff.