Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 CAD Drawings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS1 CAD Drawings?

Does anyone have Auto CAD drawings of the ports on either the 241 or 243 cylinder head? Actually it doesn't matter I would take 806, 853 heads whatever. I have pictures of the cutaways of the ports but I need a cad drawing in order to model the ports in a CFD program...if not I will have to draw them myself (long time lol)...anyways thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the majority of cylinder head manufacturers have that data. But, if they're like me, they probably gathered that information themselves and won't let it leave their hands easily.

My guess is the drawings most people are going to have are models from Inventor, Solidworks, CATIA, or PRO E. AutoCAD files are .DWG and are not really ideal for CFD software. Actually, don't think I've ever worked with a CFD program that will recognize a 2D .DWG format. Then again, don't think I've really tried. I've only used the add-on software from Autodesk and Solidworks when working with models. But, I'm FAR from a genius when it comes to computer software so who knows what else it can do. My current work software is Inventor Suite '12, which includes AutoCAD '12 and I have their Simulation CFD software.

That said, if you get any hits, let me know. I'd like to play around!

<< Fellow CAD operator
Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Yea I realize aftermarket companies don't wanna let to of those! If I have to I will get a damaged and cheap head and bandsaw it in half and go from there...I realize I can do it, it's just if I had the drawing I could put more te into the research rather than drawing...I am going to try to design a custom port design that can. E cut from a stock head (I don't got the money to cast one lol)....anyway how much did you pay for inventor? I'm afraid my laptop doesn't have the memory to use it? Does it have finite element analysis as well as CFD and autocad?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Everything out the door, with yearly subscription for updates and support, and the CFD simulation software, was around 8K per seat. Inventor Suite includes Inventor and AutoCAD. We also have networking that allows us to use our laptops while on the road without having to purchase an entire seat. If I remember right that was about 1k. Yes, Inventor Suite has finite element analysis.

Autodesk does offer an LT Suite that packages both an Inventor LT and AutoCAD LT for a fraction of what a full suite costs. But it's limited to only part drawings, no assemblies.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot, thought i almost stumbled on a pot of gold here when i read the title. Seem's like its old enough now that there would be some drawings out one way or another, maybe not though.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Well, the reason you don't see many prints on parts like cylinder heads is because of how complex they really are. More important than CAD software is measuring equipment when reverse engineering something.

It's going to take more than just a set of calipers, mics, and dial indicators to get accurate measurements. Big $$ tools, which usually make a project like this out of reach for the average Joe playing around at home.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

My idea is to use a custom tool I made to measure the progressive cross section...after I bandsaw an ls1 head I will be able to measure better I think
Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Ok I figured nobody had any cad drawings for what I'm looking for, but in a way I would rather do it myself...

Anyway I already posted a want ad in the classifieds but I'll ask on this forum too...if ANYBODY has any junk 806/853/241/243/799 heads private message me. I really only need one ls1 and one ls6/2 head to compare....they can be mangled no big deal, I just need at least 2 cylinders of the head to be good so I can port one and leave one stock...it would really help me out and I know this is the BEST forum to ask, I'm looking to get them cheap or even trade some parts (oil pump, water pump, etc.) ...I will also share my results exclusively with whoever can help me out....thanks guys
Old 01-18-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Bump...anyone got some mangled heads they wanna sell me?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of 241's and a set of 806's laying around pm me or text or call my cell 915-274-6200

Quick Reply: LS1 CAD Drawings?