p0442 code

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default p0442 code

Changed gas cap a couple of years ago, what else should I look for? It might be bad again? Also, how do you clear the code? Disconnect the battery? For how long? I did this for about 5 minutes and light is still on.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Oh yea, Its a 98 Z28.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a local Autozone? Tell them to scan it, and when they say "Change your gas cap" tell them you already did and ask if they can erase the code to see if that was the fix.
They should. There's a chance they might not, but worth a shot IMO.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
Changed gas cap a couple of years ago, what else should I look for? It might be bad again? Also, how do you clear the code? Disconnect the battery? For how long? I did this for about 5 minutes and light is still on.
I would inspect all my evap lines and if you don't find any loose, cracked or damaged I would start with the purge valve on the engine, remove evap. line from purge valve with engine off and connect hand held vacuum pump to valve apply 12 inches of vacuum and it should hold vacuum. If it leaks valve needs to be replaced. Most shops use evap emissions leak detector with smoke machine to detect leaks. They seal off system with scan tool and then smoke system and look for the smoke to detect leaks, sounds easy and can be but you have to have the tool. Let us know what you find. Vent solenoid sometimes fails too, located near fuel tank.

H. Uncle.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, I'll take a look at those this weekend. Also, would it make a difference if it was raining outside when this happened.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

its an evap code. possibly a fuel cap, purge valve, charcoal canister, lines, etc etc.. i just sent my pcm off to madz28 and had all the emissions tuned out. worked like a charm
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just changed the purge valve on the wifes car. Tried a new gas cap first. It started having starting problems after filling up. Didn't matter how much gas was in the tank, it did the same thing. The valve was sticking open and allowing fuel to pass through.

Quick Reply: p0442 code