Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resize H-Beam Rod

Old 01-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Resize H-Beam Rod

Any engine builders or machinist s in here? Just kidding, I am gambling that most reading this are in some way. I got a great deal on a forged bottom end stock crank LS2, the problem is that it had spun a rod bearing. The crank is junk, and the rod big end has traces of bearing material and general overall ugliness stuck in it. It is an aftermarket H-beam rod. I was wondering if it was common practice to resize or hone these rods? There are hollow alignment dowels in the cap, would this hinder the resizing process? I can't get any pics as I am currently in West Africa, but I can tell you there is no physical shape deformations to the big end circumference. Let me know if you have any experience in this or any suggestions. Also don't move this thread to Gen IV internal, as there are more old-school diy guys in here. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would replace the rod... and usually the one next to it.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 703crewchief
Any engine builders or machinist s in here? Just kidding, I am gambling that most reading this are in some way. I got a great deal on a forged bottom end stock crank LS2, the problem is that it had spun a rod bearing. The crank is junk, and the rod big end has traces of bearing material and general overall ugliness stuck in it. It is an aftermarket H-beam rod. I was wondering if it was common practice to resize or hone these rods? There are hollow alignment dowels in the cap, would this hinder the resizing process? I can't get any pics as I am currently in West Africa, but I can tell you there is no physical shape deformations to the big end circumference. Let me know if you have any experience in this or any suggestions. Also don't move this thread to Gen IV internal, as there are more old-school diy guys in here. Thanks.
Take it to your local "reputable" machine shop and get there opinion.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

I will take it to the machinist when I get home. I know it would be a good idea to replace it, but I also know that it is standard practice to resize older factory, non-PM rods. I was just wondering, going to be stuck overseas for a few more weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resize H-Beam Rod