Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

curiosity again

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default curiosity again

Just bought the lingenfelter gt1-1 cam and a set of comp titanium dual valve springs with all hardware. Lingenfelter recommended basically shaving the pistons for ptv clearance using 1.7 rr. Which is more cost effective and would last? Shaving the pistons or buying a whole new set to allow for the ptv?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

I think they may have been referring to flycutting the pistons. It would be unadviseable to replace pistons "just" to fix PTV clearance.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That can has some serious lift and duration...what else do you have done (heads, intake, blower, turbo, etc.)

That's why I try to stay away from ptv problem cams unless I'm already changing the pistons anyway...
Old 01-18-2012, 03:39 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dw2000ta
Just bought the lingenfelter gt1-1 cam and a set of comp titanium dual valve springs with all hardware. Lingenfelter recommended basically shaving the pistons for ptv clearance using 1.7 rr. Which is more cost effective and would last? Shaving the pistons or buying a whole new set to allow for the ptv?
I believe that cam with stock rockers and installed straight up will clear stock pistons, but is close I do believe.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Banned

Would flycutting weaken the piston or are we talking millimeters to clear. Def going with 102mm last maybe a set of heads. Any recommendations?

Right now it has slp lid,lt headers,y pipe and clutch. With magnaflow muffler and pipes. Richmond 4:10 gears. That's all I know of for sure. I'm still waiting on the list of everything done from the guy I bought it from. I've only had the car two weeks. As far as I know... the motor had never been touched. With 52k on the clock. I'll prolly swap all this out again later when I make a decision on twin turbo or supercharger for my road goal of 500 rwhp. Who knows. I want that number stop in open to suggestions.. thanks everyone.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You def should get aftermarket heads, bc they make the most of the fast 102...

As far as fly cutting...it technically does weaken the piston anytime you remove material, but fly cutting is measured in thousandths, if you do fly cut the pistons I wouldn't run them with forced induction, you would have to swap to forged...if u don't flycut the stock pistons they are fine up to like 6 psi of boost