Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modded TSP Offroad Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modded TSP Offroad Y pipe

Recently redid my banged up flowtech y pipe and stock cat back with cut out with a tsp off road y pipe and dynomax race bullet muffler. I'm actually very surprised on how much quieter the car is with 3 1/2" exhaust with just the bullet. I was going to go with an xr1 but funds are tight and at $40 bucks I couldn't go wrong. Car has no rasp and is ALOT quieter cruising and accelerating then it was with the cutout. Im very happy with the results and I figured I'd share. I have a total of $200 into this exhaust

The tsp merge is 3 1/2" reduced to 3" but I cut off the reducer and welded the 3 1/2" pipe straight to it.

I used a chop saw to makethe tip

Old vs New

And here it is on the car (sorry for the crappy pics I put it all on after work earlier this week.

Here's a few day shots

Last edited by CustomX; 01-19-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

DAMN! You beat me to it!! LOL

I have a similar idea as well, but with a 3.5" - 4".....

The problem I'm running into here is NO muffler shops weld stainless. Well, they WILL, but it'll be regular mild steel. I can't get on board with that.

Great job. Looks good.

I wish this was an option from the start.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Very nice, have been debating on a Mufflex system, I like this better ESPECIALLY cost wise. Good work!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Just curious what type of clearance do you have with the 3in y? I installed mine along with Pacesetters on my 94 LS1 Camaro and my clearance isn't horrible, but it isn't that great either. Is the undercarriage of the car different on the 93-97's compared to the 98-02's???
Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
DAMN! You beat me to it!! LOL

I have a similar idea as well, but with a 3.5" - 4".....

The problem I'm running into here is NO muffler shops weld stainless. Well, they WILL, but it'll be regular mild steel. I can't get on board with that.

Great job. Looks good.

I wish this was an option from the start.
Thanks, yeah I wasn't worried about it being stainless I'm not sure if this is permanent yet. Your going to have to find someone who tig welds to weld it. I'm pretty sure most exhaust shops use a mig welder. A local performance shop should have a tig and be able to weld that stainless up and keep that stainless look.

Originally Posted by jeremyfrank14
Very nice, have been debating on a Mufflex system, I like this better ESPECIALLY cost wise. Good work!
Exactly. I want the mufflex kit but I just can't afford to fork out $500 bucks right now. I paid $75 bucks for this "cat back" including the clamps and hangers lol

Originally Posted by njmaster
Just curious what type of clearance do you have with the 3in y? I installed mine along with Pacesetters on my 94 LS1 Camaro and my clearance isn't horrible, but it isn't that great either. Is the undercarriage of the car different on the 93-97's compared to the 98-02's???
It's tight, especially with the flowtech headers. I believe this y pipe is made around tsp and pacesetter lts. I had to put a hanger up front on the floorboard to keep the y from beating off the floor. I'm sure with some finessing you could get it to clear without the need of a hanger. I was rushed for time and on jackstands so my patience was running low lol. Not sure about the floorboards being the same... I can't see them being too different.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

If you have any left over 3.5" pipe I'll buy it from you...
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

The piece I have left over is only about a 2ft.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

looks good, do you have a sound clip?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can get stainless steel here:
http://www.stainlessworks.net/produc....html?size=363

Now if you want aluminized mild steel exhaust tubing you can get it a lot cheaper, just Google it!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z-camaro
looks good, do you have a sound clip?
Thanks, no sound clip yet. I'll try and take one this weekend.

Edit: I just made an idle clip with my driod, waiting for it to upload.

Last edited by CustomX; 01-19-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

**** I hate my phone, anywho here's a idle clip, sorry it sounds messed up. My speaker got wet and has been acting weird ever since. It's still loud at idle but not as it was with the open cutout. There is no more rasp and it's a hell of alot quieter driving around, I have yet to do a wot pull. I will try to get one this weekend. It does feel a bit peppier now and seems to normal accel a little quicker, but that could just be because I am use to it being much louder and the converter doesn't help

http://youtu.be/dbcE-5lOelQ

Last edited by CustomX; 01-19-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

i have been think of getting the TSP SS y-pipe, how gentle is the slope to the merge? i guess what im asking is how well is the merge cuz i remember the old one was kinda bad. do you think tsp's merge is as good as like the flowmaster merge?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Faught
i have been think of getting the TSP SS y-pipe, how gentle is the slope to the merge? i guess what im asking is how well is the merge cuz i remember the old one was kinda bad. do you think tsp's merge is as good as like the flowmaster merge?

IMO it looks better then the flowmaster merge, but it could be that this one is ss and the flowmasters isn't lol and I have really seen one in person just pictures. I bought another merge from mandrel-bends.com and was going to weld it on the end of the tsp y pipe but there merge looks pretty good. I couldnt be any happier considering what I had on the car before.

Quick Reply: Modded TSP Offroad Y pipe