Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

i need your opinions on what to do.. changing tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i need your opinions on what to do.. changing tranny fluid

My gto has 99,250 on it as of this moment. The last owner changed the transmission fluid and filter at 55k miles and I'm thinking about going ahead and changing it again this weekend.

It makes me nervous changing it at such a high mileage though because I've heard horror stories and so many "if I had just left it alone" cuz I don't want my transmission going out on me next month. I do want my car in proper running order though and I just bought the car and I always change all the fluids and do a complete service whenever I buy a vehicle.

So what would you do? Not risk it and just leave it alone because of the mileage? Or go ahead and change it since its been done once in its lifetime already??

Also would it be a good idea to run some sea foam trans tune in it before doing the service?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

I would go ahead and do it. it has already been done once like you said so i don't think it will hurt. I asked our mechanic @ work about this same topic. He said if they go a LONG time, sludge will build up and mix with the oil creating thicker oil and possible "holding" some things together. I don't know how true, but I have had 2 transmissions go out in diff vehicles within 100's of miles from changing the fluid.
On the other hand, I think that if it is going to go out, leaving "bad" fluid in there is only prolonging the inevitable... its already gone.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Change your fluid!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your tranny goes out from a fluid change then that means it was ready for a rebuild anyway. Yes, change it and the filter
Old 01-21-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Have any of you used the sea foam for transmissions?

Quick Reply: i need your opinions on what to do.. changing tranny fluid