Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone used Comprehensive Ins. to fix APPEARANCE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Anyone used Comprehensive Ins. to fix APPEARANCE?

I need to sell my car in a few months and it looks like crap during the day. Some scratches to primer. Lots of dents, etc. How does comprehensive work? Anyone used it before? What all do they cover? I dont know if this fits here, but if not please move it. Thanks,
John.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

You mean like insurance fraud? lol
Old 03-18-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

No. Comprehensive covers other damage. Like broken glass. Vandalism, etc. My friend had some dent removal that happend in a parking lot and his insurance covered it. Is taht typical?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
No. Comprehensive covers other damage. Like broken glass. Vandalism, etc. My friend had some dent removal that happend in a parking lot and his insurance covered it.
Didn't you just answer your own question?

Insurance pays for damage to your car such as an accident, hit-n-run, or vandelism. It doesn't pay to repair the ravages of time.

--VIP1
Old 03-19-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

In any event, even if you were to be able to make the claim, you'd be paying for it for years. Accidents and damage claims remain on your insurance record for 5 years. You can't see them, but insurance companies can. It's not like points on a license either, you cna' t make them go away, they just have to drop off.
Now, if you want to drive stupis and wait for someone to hit you in an area of the car that needs the most work...
P.S. Don't forget to wear a helmet, although it sounds like probably should already, if that's your big idea for a repair job j/k
Old 03-19-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

What are you 17? I guess you should learn about insurance fraud before you commit it...
Old 03-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

The simple version-enough to get you by.......
Comp covers animal strikes, vandals and broken winshields and does not affect your rates

Collision-covers everything else and does affect your rates

There is alot more to it and some state specific coverages. contact your agent or the policy services of your insurance company and have them explain what you pay for every month
Old 03-20-2004, 11:25 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Wishing to switch insurance providers? That's what you'll be doing when your current provider finds out what you're doing (if you decide to try it).
Old 03-20-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is one of the main reasons our insurance rates are so high. If you are the one who ragged your car out, you should be the one to pay to have it fixed - not the insurance company.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

What all do they cover?
What the f***! I never said anything about fraud. Lets go back and read shall we? Scooter got it right.. I wanted to know the extent of coverage. So lets pull the sticks out of our asses okay? I am paying for ***king insurance that I dont know whats it for. I know a friend used it after his car was raped in a parking lot. I know PDR places say approved by ____ insurance company. Why would they need that? When you get in a collison you goto a body shop, not PDR.

Oh, and Teri, I am not the one that slammed carts into the side of it at a grocery store. Wait till someone does it too your car and see how you feel about having to pay to have it remove and I'll be bitching about my insurance rate, but thank you all for your expert opinions.

Last edited by 2KThunder; 03-21-2004 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Language
Old 03-20-2004, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

i agree with you 2k, just a simple question and all of a sudden...BAM!!!! Major bashing goin on.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I keep full coverage on all my vehicles for this reason
Old 03-21-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well not to be too analitical but in case you forgot this is what your title states: "Anyone used Comprehensive Ins. to fix APPEARANCE" The implication is if anyone has used insurance to better the appearance of they're car from non-accident. Makes it sound like someone did something on purpose in order to fix something else. I guess some of use read too much into it but nevertheless it is still comitting fraud. If someone rammed a cart into your car and you called the insurance company within a few days to complain about it than yeah maybe it would be covered but if you called up to complain your car has scratches and dents that have occured over the last few years i wouldn't expect anything more than a laugh and than a click sound. Like VIP1 said they do not cover general degredation of your vehicle. If you were to make a claim it would be for something that happened immediately, otherwise like some of us already said, its insurance fraud.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see what you mean. I did the APPEARANCE in the title for only one reason:
I dont know if this fits here, but if not please move it.
I hope that clears up some confusion.

And if you really want to get analytical:
The definition of fraud:
A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.

Now if my intent was deliberate fraud, I would have to have some understanding as too how Comprehensive insurance works, which I do not as I am dont handle my policy. Now look at it from my perspective: I pay more a month for coverage. I dont know what it covers EXACTLY, but have a general idea. I ask if anyone has used it for what my general idea of its purpose was, which was to fix other stuff not included in collision, and since I know they cover broken glass, vandalism, etc. why not ask and find out if I can use it, I am paying for it and If it can be used, why not? So I ask my question and Bam:
You fraud
Liar!
Its A** holes like you that....... etc.

Hmm...

Maybe I should just not ask any more questions.

I guess I am just supposed to know this stuff?!?!?!