Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

911 need help on a problem with my DD beater !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 need help on a problem with my DD beater !!!!

Hey guys I have a 92 BMW 318i 5spd , the car has been running great till now .. Last night I used the car and it worked perfect no problems ! But this morning I went to start the car and went to step on the clutch and the pedal had no pressure (usually firm clutch) and when I try to put the car in gear I put the clutch to the floor and it doesn't go into gear but when I turn off the car and I put it in first with the car off it goes, then I start the car and take off since its in first it shifts to second and the gears it's just really hard but at a complete stop while the cars on it does not shift into gear , only when the car is in motion it shifts into gear !! I am thinking its the clutch , this is my first stick car so this is all new to me , but it has to do with the clutch or the hydro licks or something ... Please guys any info would be great !
Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camaroboy14
Hey guys I have a 92 BMW 318i 5spd , the car has been running great till now .. Last night I used the car and it worked perfect no problems ! But this morning I went to start the car and went to step on the clutch and the pedal had no pressure (usually firm clutch) and when I try to put the car in gear I put the clutch to the floor and it doesn't go into gear but when I turn off the car and I put it in first with the car off it goes, then I start the car and take off since its in first it shifts to second and the gears it's just really hard but at a complete stop while the cars on it does not shift into gear , only when the car is in motion it shifts into gear !! I am thinking its the clutch , this is my first stick car so this is all new to me , but it has to do with the clutch or the hydro licks or something ... Please guys any info would be great !
you have a hydraulic clutch. check the fluid. the resivoir should be on the firewall drivers side.
if it's empty, fill it, and pump the clutch pedal a few times. this should get you enough pressure to be able to find out where it all leaked out to.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

I looking and can't find it ? It's a euro spec if that matters :/ I can email you a pic of the bay what's your email?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&g...ine%20bay#i=31

This looks exactly like mine where is it?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&g...ine%20bay#i=31

This looks exactly like mine where is it?
THAT Link takes me to the google search page. i just went through my information system, and can't find anything on it. something that just struck me though, is that some european cars simply tap the clutch hydraulics into the brake master cylinder, so check that fluid too.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have someone go in the bottom of the car while u push the clutch. See if the slave moves, check for any leaks. If slave won't move and it's not leaking mostlikly your master just took a dump.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah the reservoir is the same as the brake fluid resivor :/ ? So I filled it to where it is supposed to be at and pumped a few times and it works .. But I kept pumping and the fluid level was going down and I saw a air bubble everytime I pumped the clutch , so I am assuming leak? But I couldn't see any fluid leaking just saw the level go lower I drove it about 4 miles to a buddys house and it was shifting fine just the clutch felt a lil softer .. So I am assuming a leak ? Or can it be something else ?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah the reservoir is the same as the brake fluid resivor :/ ? So I filled it to where it is supposed to be at and pumped a few times and it works .. But I kept pumping and the fluid level was going down and I saw a air bubble everytime I pumped the clutch , so I am assuming leak? But I couldn't see any fluid leaking just saw the level go lower I drove it about 4 miles to a buddys house and it was shifting fine just the clutch felt a lil softer .. So I am assuming a leak ? Or can it be something else ?
you've definitely got a leak somewhere. the fluid level was going down though, due to the fact that as you pumped the pedal you were refilling the line, and the clutch slave cylinder.
your best bet is going to be to get it to your mechanic, and have it checked out, before it leaves you stranded somewhere.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
you've definitely got a leak somewhere. the fluid level was going down though, due to the fact that as you pumped the pedal you were refilling the line, and the clutch slave cylinder.
your best bet is going to be to get it to your mechanic, and have it checked out, before it leaves you stranded somewhere.
agreed, id make sure you carry an extra bottle in the car also if it starts getting much worse getting it to the shop. It is probably wiser to get it there now while its drivable and before it leaves you stranded and stuck with a tow truck bill.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah thanks guys I dropped it off.. Should know tomorrow the damage .. Damn mechanics charge euro instead of dollar :/ ugh lol
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bad master or slave
Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
Bad master or slave
wellll...the master is allowed to be bad. the slave on the other hand..............
Old 01-26-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

It was the slave :/ fixed ..

Quick Reply: 911 need help on a problem with my DD beater !!!!