Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready for a cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready for a cam swap

My friend is getting ready to do a cam swap on his LQ4 T/a and from what I've read the stock 9.5 to 1 CR is to small, correct? If it is what would be a good CR to get it to? The cam that we have been looking at is 227/227 .555"/.555" 117LSA(is the LSA the machine shop recommended). The car will be keeping the stock 317 heads but they will be milled don't know how much yet so that should help bump it up a little. Should we also look at thinner head gaskets? Is the cam too big for stock heads? Any cam recommendations would be appreciated. The goal is 400rwhp but if we can get some more without too much sacrifice to driveability then we are all for it. I own an LT1 so I'm not as knowledgeable with this platform as my own so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

that cam is pretty small and thats a pretty wide lsa. what are u using the car for what do u want from the cam?. sound, power , torque, or high rpm power?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
that cam is pretty small and thats a pretty wide lsa. what are u using the car for what do u want from the cam?. sound, power , torque, or high rpm power?
I thought that LSA was wide I was thinking something in the 112 area but that's what they recommended. What size cam would you recommend with the stock heads?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on what he wants to do with the car, M6 or A4.... Lots of stuff.
I'm partial to a 112+2 myself....
Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Depends on what he wants to do with the car, M6 or A4.... Lots of stuff.
I'm partial to a 112+2 myself....
It's an A4 and he wants it for some weekend drag racing it will be his daily driver but he'll take it to the strip every now and then.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Teching In

So went to a different machine shop and I did some more research and came up with this a 228/230 .571/.573 112 LSA. What do you guys think of this with the stock 317s?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Gods honest truth, I'd call a sponsor and tell them your set-up and goals, and what you WANT. They can then tell you what you NEED.

I went through Ed Curtis. TSP has awesome customer service as well, as half the **** on my car came from there.

Seriously. Cut to the chase, talk to the guys that do this day in and day out and let them spec you one.
I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Gods honest truth, I'd call a sponsor and tell them your set-up and goals, and what you WANT. They can then tell you what you NEED.

I went through Ed Curtis. TSP has awesome customer service as well, as half the **** on my car came from there.

Seriously. Cut to the chase, talk to the guys that do this day in and day out and let them spec you one.
I doubt you'll be disappointed.
If it was my car that is what I would've done but my friend is one of those people that needs to see the product up close to buy he distrusts the internet. I tried telling him that I would call the places for him and get everything sorted out for him but he didn't want to. He bought his headers from TSP and will probably buy his true dual setup from them so I told him to get his cam from them but he's skeptical of buying something like this without talking to someone in person.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Matt & Aaron both are great to talk to. (I know it was for your friend; disregard the "you" in previous post)

I think if you could just get him on the phone with them, he'll get what he's expecting, if not more.