PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS; does aftermarket support this for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy VSS; does aftermarket support this for me?

Just completed a 5.3 swap into an 86 k10
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...silverado.html

Starting to run into some drivibility issues due to the lack of VSS. I'm running an old school sm465, so my options are limited to the aftermarket.

My engine was originally with a 4l60, so I believe the pcm is expecting the 40 ppm signal for the vss. Its now running manual and I don't believe the programmer changed the signal, as it wasn't requested. I want to be able to run cruise control (drive by wire), so I understand that the VSS must be accurate.

However the only 40ppm units I see aftermarket (for speedo cable operation)are the ones made by Jags that run. Will this work and allow the cruise to operate properly? My speedo reads properly. However I thought I read a thread or two that the gear reduction from the speedo drive gears messed up the signal from the JTR device. Any truth to this?

Finally, several here seem to have run the 80ppm unit from dakota digitial. I understand the pcm can be changed to accept that readout, however for me to send out my pcm and get it back is 2 weeks, and I drive this truck everyday, so thats not an opinion. Will this one work in stock form at all? Perhaps not allow cruise, but allow the engine to run better? At a loss here.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are 40 pulse per revolution, not per mile.

The "pulses per mile" signal comes from PCM and it's different depending to which module it goes to:
Is 128,000 PPM for ABS, 4,000 PPM for Cruise, etc.

The stock tune is expecting 40 pulses per revolution, however you can change it with tuning software to accomodate a different Vss sensor.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dakota digital, sen-01-4160 from summit racing.

This sensor screws on cable speedo output of any GM trans or t-case, and will produce 8000 pulses a mile (aprox)

The PCM needs programmed to accept this, this works out to be around 3.0 to 3.5 pulse per drive shaft revolution. It does not have to be exact, you only want to let the PCM know when vehicle is moving or not.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
They are 40 pulse per revolution, not per mile.

The "pulses per mile" signal comes from PCM and it's different depending to which module it goes to:
Is 128,000 PPM for ABS, 4,000 PPM for Cruise, etc.

The stock tune is expecting 40 pulses per revolution, however you can change it with tuning software to accomodate a different Vss sensor.
Ok, so would the JTR unit work for the pcm, as it is programmed right now?
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html
#4pac is the one I was looking at. Would it give the correct signal without altering the pcm?

Sorry, new to this stuff. Again, not looking to mod the PCM, since there is a 2 week down time.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dothedew
Ok, so would the JTR unit work for the pcm, as it is programmed right now?
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html
#4pac is the one I was looking at. Would it give the correct signal without altering the pcm?

Sorry, new to this stuff. Again, not looking to mod the PCM, since there is a 2 week down time.
If the PCM has a manual tune, yes. It is expecting a 17 pulses per revolution.
An automatic tune is for 40 pulses but can be changed.

I'm not familiar with sm465 trans, but the sensor #4 seems correct for your application.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4PAQ is a 4 pulse signal generator. The dakota digital is a 8 pulse, twice the resolution, and only $39.00 from summit.

both are going to require programming of pcm to accept.

when a speed sensor is advertised 4 pulse or 8 pulse, that is the number of pulses per revolution of the speed sensor, NOT the drive shaft. As I stated above, the math works out to about 3.0 to 3.5 pulse per drive-shaft revolution when using the dakota sensor.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Its set up for a stock 40 pulse. So there nothing aftermarket that will allow me to run as is I take it. The pcm will have to be editted regardless I guess.

Next question. If I get the dakota digital unit (80 pulse), and have the pcm editted to read the 80 pulse, will the dbw cruise control work properly?

Quick Reply: VSS; does aftermarket support this for me?