Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 camaro 6.0 swap questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1969 camaro 6.0 swap questions!!

I recently bought a 03 LQ4 6.0 engine for my 69 Camaro. I was wondering is it will fit under the hood with that tall truck intake? Will it fit with a cowl hood? What about the oil pan , will it have to be changed? Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LQ4 fittment

Triple, welcome to LS1Tech! I am in process of dropping a 5.3 into a 73' Nova, which is very close to 1st gen Camaros. Researching other Nova swaps it looks like most guys can keep the truck intake and stock hood depending upon which engine mounting system they use. Some kits place the engine pretty high up for additional clearance. I am not sure if the Camaro hoodline is the same as the Nova. You have a couple options for the oil pan:

-The stock truck LQ4 pan can be used with our subframe, but it required modification to clear the steering linkage. The pan also hangs very low, like 1"+ below the cross member. Standard practice is to cut 1" to 1.5" off the bottom of the pan and about 2" off the front face of the sump, and have a pro welder weld plates to give the necessary clearance.

-A stock F-body pan, but the front of the sump still requres modification.

-A CTS-V pan can be used, but they are rare and may require similar welding TLC.

-GMPP "Hotrod" oil pan kit. Which is an LH8 oil pan from a Hummer. This pan is suppose to clear the linkage but is stilll pretty low.

-Aftemarket. Holly, Miloden, and another company all offer pans specifically for LS swaps into our cars. They are beautiful, fit very well and do a great job of reducing the weight of your wallet!

Your best bet is to look through the large library of build threads here and find several similar cars to use as examples. There are some great guys on here. Also, get some pics up!! Good luck!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the transmission? I currently have a th350. or should I change it to a 4L60E?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This will depend, among other things, on what your intended use for the vehicle is. If you are going to drive the vehicle regularly or for long distances, I think the 4L60E is a no brainer, you will make up for the added cost by the improved fuel economy relatively quickly. If you are going to be drag racing the car and want reduced weight, the TH350 may be a better option. Just an FYI, we run a TH350 with our LS2 Nova and have no problems. But that car mostly sees the drag strip.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tranny

Triple

Most old trannys can mate up to the gen III engines. Do some research to figure out which route you want to go. Here is the link to a CC article I found that you may find helpful as well

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...n_3/index.html

Quick Reply: 1969 camaro 6.0 swap questions!!