c0181 code??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c0181 code??

I am getting a c0181 code "throttle recuction motor circuit" on my '02 TA. If I clear it and start it up, its good, untill I give it any amount of throttle. Once I givce it any amount of gass the 'tcs off' light on the dash comes on and the tcs switch is inoperable. I can turn it on/off right after clearing the code and idling, but again, as soon as my foot touches the gas I am back to square one. Any ideas?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Thumbs down

Anyone...?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

DTC C0181 Throttle Reduction Motor CKT Malfunction

Circuit Description

Identifies an adjuster assembly motor circuit that is shorted to ground, shorted to voltage, or an open circuit. This malfunction will not allow the adjuster assembly motor to be controlled at the commanded current rate or will cause the driver circuit to allow current directly to ground.

Thats the most I could find on the internetz... from here

EDIT:Looks like its ABS related. Have you taken the car to Autozone? They can usually scan the code then run inside and put the DTC in to see what part is needed.

Last edited by DSIM; 01-27-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Teching In

I kind if figured it may be abs related but I am just not certain. Just called autozone and they said nothing even popped up for a c0181 and to look it up online. Lol. Seems I have me an unspoken of gremlin. I've tried looking around already online but can't come up with anything definitive.

Last edited by Ballerado; 01-27-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

For this you'll have to take it to a good shop. It could be a wiring issue or it could be a bad throttle, throttle control or ABS module. It's related to the traction control. If the ABS senses rear wheel over speed (like burning out or slipping on ice) the throttle reduction motor slacks the throttle to reduce engine power until it's brought under control. The system is getting a bad signal on the throttle position as soon as you hit the pedal so it shuts itself down.

In absence of proper tools, diagnostic information, and skills you aren't fixing this one at home no matter how many Autozone's you consult.

Vernon
Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Teching In

It happens just while sitting. No movement at all. And is only triggered when the throttle is applied. I asked my dad about it (20+ ase master certain tech) and he felt plain and simple it was the motor or what not that pushes the throttle pedal back at you. I am in no rush really as the car is a garage queen for the most part. Just thought I'd post up here in case anyone or any shops have encountered the same code. Seems to be something that does not come up much. My dad had figured since it trips the code with no movement or application of the brake that it wasent abs related. He told me as of now the tcs feature (which isnt a big concern of mine) will just be non operable at the moment. If anyone has a different angle or is an agreement I'm all ears. Thanks guys.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Teching In

And I had used my dads soleus (I think that's how you spell it) scanner to pull the code. He owns his own shop so I've got the access to pretty much anything I need.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

ok guys I am having the same code when I scan my 2001 Z28. No lights come on the dashboard and I don't feel anything abnormal when I drive.

I've recently changed the EBCM because I was getting code 0550 and brake, ABS and ASR lights used to come on. Now they dont.

Now I'm not a car tech savvy but what does this code mean in simple terms? Do I need to worry? Is it a major issue that needs attention or fix?

My ASR works fine and whenever there is a wheel spin the pedal kicks back and throthle slows down until car is back to normal.

Quick Reply: c0181 code??