New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some newbie bolt q's?

Old 03-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Some newbie bolt q's?

I feel almost embarrassed to be asking this but here goes. Last night was the first time I did any kind of wrenching on a car. So I began doing the rear brake's on my car. So I get the wheel off and I go for the caliper and that stupid rubber thing that the bolt is driven into that is connecting caliper frame to the body gave me fits. How do these things work, I know you put a 16mm wrench over it to hold it in place, but I have no clue how these bolts actually work. Can someone explain?

After fooling with the caliper frame for what seems to be an eternity, I finally get the darn thing off and I am able to change the pads. Now I go for the caliper body to try and change my rotors and those two bolts are a bitch to get off. I could not get them to budge AT ALL. Is there some kind of lube I can buy because I am thinking that the bolt got a little rusty or something?

Hopefully this makes sense, if it doesn't, its cause I really have no clue what im talking about. Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have done the rears myself once. It didnt have any issues, but then again i have the repair manuals. I am not completely sure what you are having an issue with though. It was smooth sailing for me (probably the easiest brake job I have done). The bolts bolt into sliding pins with rubber dust shields. If these rubber dust shield tear, dirt can get in there and sieze the pins. At which point they would have to be replaced. The sliding pins need to be able to slide to allow even braking on both sides of the rotor as the pads wear.

Here are some sites that can help you there:
www.installuniversity.com
www.ls1howto.com
www.projecttransam.com

Check here for others:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/87186-how-websites-thread.html

If those dont help, maybe PM mithintx or trackbird.

--VIP1

Last edited by VIP1; 03-18-2004 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Sorry, double post.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thnx VIP, that explanation makes alot of sense and answered my question perfectly. Is there some kind of grease I can use to loosen the 18mm caliper body bolts because I couldn't get them to budge for the life of me?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

If the bolts are stuck, some penetrating oil (like WD-40) and some effert should get them loose.

--VIP1
Old 03-18-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might try and use a WD-40 and let them soak for a while. Also, heat (propain torch) eorks well, but you have to be careful not to burn any rubber parts. Since you are new (god bless you), this is probably NOT a good method.

Try using WD-40 then use a wrench (round-end) at the socket wrench handle to apply force and leverage. Works every time!

*Lefty loosie, righty tighty)

Old 03-18-2004, 01:25 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by VoodooWS6
Lefty loosie, righty tighty
Yeah dont screw that up, I did that once (some years ago on my mother's car)

Also, dont forget that the part of the sliding pin nearest the bolt has flat sides so you can hold it still with an open-ended wrench (its not covered by the rubber boot). If you dont use one, the pin will just spin with the bolt and you'll be making no progress.

--VIP1
Old 03-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Man oh man, thnx for the responses. I feel a lot more confident going into this thing again. Gonna stop on the way home and get some dubbya d 40. Thnx again
Old 03-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Launching!

yeah, aside from you needing to stock up on WD-40 you should also go load up on some Brake Away. It's good for rusted bolts. Spray it on and let it sit and it makes many jobs a lot easier.

Also, the rubber boot - make sure you put it back on really well and that the inside slider pin is not exposed to the air...otherwise, if salt or dirt get in there it could start to stick and impare braking.

Search this Thread