Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK 80mm TB Seized & BBK will not honor Warranty!!

Old 03-18-2004, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK 80mm TB Seized & BBK will not honor Warranty!!

Has anyone that owns a BBK 80mm TB ever have it seize up on them and snap the throttle cable. I have this TB torn down and out of the car, I have the TPS and IAC out and I cannot move the shaft that opens the butterfly. I'm screwed on the warranty according to BBK because I drilled the butterfly for idling purposes. Which has nothing to do with the shaft seizing! I performed that mod 7 months ago so there is no corrolation. It seized during a WOT run and snapped my throttle cable. This is one of my classic newbie mistakes, I would have never got this thing. My old one is in a storage unit in VA and I'm here in FL so I had to special order one from GM Parts Direct. But the BBK cost me $379.00 thru Summit and I'm screwed because I put the same size hole in the butterfly that the stock one had. This is corporate BS! The damb thing would not even idle right, and would stall when coming to a stop. Drilling the hole fixed this proplem.

I just want to warn people about this and let them know what to expect.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Well since I now have a BBK TB that has no warranty I managed to hammer the butterfly out which was like welded to the inside of the TB in the idle (closed) position. It seems there is very minimal clearance between the inside wall of the TB and the butterfly. It was stuck on a teflon coating that was fraying. I used my Dremel and gave it some clearance and tapered the edges. I had to adjust the idle up a little with the allen screw to keep it from jamming. I now have the "cruise control" effect while driving but it works. I will have to tweek some more on this but it's still BS.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,087 Likes on 716 Posts

Send an email to BBK customer service and link them to our site. Fixing that TB costs them very little $$$.

ADMIN
Old 03-19-2004, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs down I Did

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Send an email to BBK customer service and link them to our site. Fixing that TB costs them very little $$$.

ADMIN
I did exactly that! I told them they were welcome to come to this site and state their side of the story. I emailed them at BBKperformance@hotmail.com , this is the address that their company refers warranty and technical issues. My hotmail account is my garbage account, the whole thing sounds flimsy. Let me add that I talked to Anthony at their tech support who had to talk to his supervisor, blah, blah. I was given the option of getting a replacement TB sent C.O.D to me and send the old one back to see if it was really a manufacturing defect. If they deemed that it was defective craftmanship they would reimburse the C.O.D, this I refused obviously. It was then I told him I drilled it and he conferred with his supervisor who said it was no longer under warranty.

Why should I shell out more money for a TB that has been a PITA from the get go? I will have my tuning software early next week and will have more capability to get it adjusted. I hope my shorties don't give me any problems.

Search this Thread